Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #31  
SC2400
Earlier this summer I had the gearbox go out on the deck. (posted in another thread) My only option was a couple 4 hour trips to the nearest dealer to get a complete gearbox for 600 bucks. After a month I was able to cross reference the bearings and parts to a similar box and put it back together. Now the meter cable is broke. It just seems @ 200 hrs and a few months out from the 3 year warranty this things falling apart. And I cant get parts with out taking the trip.

I don't know about things falling apart or warranty but I get parts for difficult things all the time. UPS/FEDEX or whatever gets it there pretty quick and pretty reasonable especially when the round trip drive is considered. Now, if it's a slow time an occasional road trip can be fun. Obviously doesn't work with the whole tractor but for most everything else it's fine.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #32  
SC2400
Earlier this summer I had the gearbox go out on the deck. (posted in another thread) My only option was a couple 4 hour trips to the nearest dealer to get a complete gearbox for 600 bucks. After a month I was able to cross reference the bearings and parts to a similar box and put it back together. Now the meter cable is broke. It just seems @ 200 hrs and a few months out from the 3 year warranty this things falling apart. And I cant get parts with out taking the trip.

(removed);
meter cable? Throttle cable perhaps? You can get a parts and/or a technical manual on Ebay, and that will have your part #....then order from any Yanmar dealer. They can drop ship from georgia or ship if they have it in stock, saving the trip. I will give you the # of my dealer in MI if you want, great guys to deal with.
I'm right up the street from you, in Dover. I own an SC2400 and buy/sell Yanmar/Cub tractors as a hobby. Always had great luck with all of them. Hope I didn't sell you that Sc?? :eek: If so, I will help you get er running again. If not, I will still help all I can.
I believe you're right, both Holmes rentals appear not to carry Yanmar, as well as Gause equipment and White farm supply. That is a bit discouraging. The closest I believe is Wellington implement, is that who you're referring to? They are just under 100 miles, close enough to it I guess. Should be around 3 hour round trip?
I'm not heartbroken about Holmes rental, I had one dealing with them and it was terrible. The ONLY time I had a tractor in for warranty work IN MY LIFE.....because of a broken stud on the front wheel.....from me trying to switch tires/rims....I didn't want to mess it up...so brought it in to change out the hub. They did the work, and proceeded to charge me 350++...because they claimed I had the tires on the rim backwards. Idiots. Called my buddy in MI, he said pay the bill, send me a copy, and I'll send you a check for the repairs, which he did.
I experienced some serious anger with this dealer, probably as you have witnessed with your particular experience. As I said, I just call my dealer in MI, and we figure out the part to get, then it's here in a few days.
Very sorry about your SC.... again, anything else I can help with let me know.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #33  
I understand the OP's anger, but a throttle cable? I hope that is the worse thing that I have to worry about breaking. The gear box stinks too, but attachments are only under warranty for one year. IMO as long as the tractor is functioning and doesn't require being split to fix I'm happy.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #34  
I understand the OP's anger, but a throttle cable? I hope that is the worse thing that I have to worry about breaking. The gear box stinks too, but attachments are only under warranty for one year. IMO as long as the tractor is functioning and doesn't require being split to fix I'm happy.
No matter how large or small or important the part is, My time is better spent doing other things than 4 hr round trips or endless hours on the internet or phone trying to find parts for a fairly new tractor. This is with anything that breaks. Its a major big deal. Bottom line is that the service and parts catagories of the Yanmar company needs improvement. In this area anyway.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #35  
No matter how large or small or important the part is, My time is better spent doing other things than 4 hr round trips or endless hours on the internet or phone trying to find parts for a fairly new tractor. This is with anything that breaks. Its a major big deal. Bottom line is that the service and parts catagories of the Yanmar company needs improvement. In this area anyway.

I certainly agree that their dealer network is thin and unimpressive.
That needs to change. Currently I doubt I would buy another Yanmar unless that changes.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #36  
After reading all these posts, I wonder if I should have bought another brand.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #37  
After reading all these posts, I wonder if I should have bought another brand.

Why?
If you have a good dealer network in your area I wouldn't sweat it. They're **** good machines IMO. The way they entered the market, and abruptly broke away from Cub, which left a lot of customers without a local dealer, wasn't very smart IMO. It would have been fine if they had another plan to establish a dealer network, but it's been several years and I've seen no forward movement in the Yanmar name. It don't know what their thinking to be honest. I'm sure it's different in other areas of the country.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #38  
The dealer ( Holmes Rental) has treated me well. They sell Cub Cadet and Yanmar so I am not worried about parts or service. They are less than 5 miles from my house so distance is not a factor. I think the Cub/Yanmar split was simply a business decision. I am happy with my tractor. It does have a few design flaws IMO but over all it does what I need to it to do.

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #39  
I've discovered two new Yanmar dealers that have cropped up within an hour or so drive of me, and the tractors have showed up for sale at the local fairs, so that's a plus I can note. I was also pleased to see a Yanmar excavator doing road work in my town last week. Yanmar is also big name in my area on the waterfront, they power a lot of boats around here.

God's Country- You may be interested to know Yanmar is on exhibit in PA in Seven Springs right now: YANMAR | Mother Earth News Fair (Seven Springs, PA)

/ Yanmar on their own ?? Doesn't seem to be working #40  
I've discovered two new Yanmar dealers that have cropped up within an hour or so drive of me, and the tractors have showed up for sale at the local fairs, so that's a plus I can note. I was also pleased to see a Yanmar excavator doing road work in my town last week. Yanmar is also big name in my area on the waterfront, they power a lot of boats around here.

God's Country- You may be interested to know Yanmar is on exhibit in PA in Seven Springs right now: YANMAR | Mother Earth News Fair (Seven Springs, PA)

Thanks, I wouldn't mind going, but that is probably 4hrs from me.