Buying Advice Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!!

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #21  
Funny you mention the skid steer. My brother in law and I just had that conversation yesterday. He has a John Deere 50hp with loader on the farm (not sure of the model).

We live on a little over 100 acres and when we bought the land and built our houses we had a skid steer for the construction. Not sure why but we sold it when we were finished building. Probably the biggest mistake we made but it is what it is.

I do think a skid steer would serve some of what we need very well but I also need to be able to help in the grass cutting arena. My father in law and grandfather in law maintain most of the grass (except for our 50 acre pasture that is hayed) and I feel guilty that I can't help. Also I want to be able to get out on a tractor and cut some grass. At least faster than my riding lawn mower will do.

284 International you have really made me think about this again. I was settled on the Mahindra just for the name brand and I think it is VERY good deal but you are correct in that we have 2 other similar tractors on the farm that will essentially do the same thing. The 1820 probably will do everything I need except for the rare occasion that I need some real power. In those instances I definitely have access to something that will get it done. The advantage to that also is that it will get in tight places in the woods.

gonna make a decision this week and i will keep you posted on my saga!

To Put it into perspective, you will cut much more grass on a 48" rider or a larger zero turn. Now i know its not as fun or cool on a rider or 0 turn but they will be faster cutting yard grass than a 27 hp tractor. Even if you get a 6ft finish mower on a tractor, the ground speed difference on the smaller one will prolly cut faster. That with the fact that even my yanmar 2000 takes a 30 foot circle it seems to turn around and a small one can turn faster heck a zero turn in zero ft turning radius. So if you have open land thats straight you can cut well with a tractor and mower but if you have trees houses and other obsticles to go around and under a tractor is not the best choice in tight areas.

BUT a tractor can do more than cut grass, which is what you want. But like i said unless you get a 7-8ft finish mower your gonna cut more with a 48" plus riding mower or zero turn.. NOt trying to talk you outta a fun toy just pointing it out.

/ Yanmar or Mahindra? Small vs Large? - HELP!! #22  
That is definitely the case for me at my shop at least, we have 2 acres of grass and my wife can cut it faster and better with her 23hp Craftsman 50" garden tractor than I can with a 38hp cut and a 5' bush hog.

We dont let it turn to hay either thats when the tractor would out do the mower.

I dont mind helping out sometimes though. :D