Yanmar purchase?

/ Yanmar purchase? #1  

Brian_D

Can someone tell me how well refurbished yanmars are? Specifically, Handlers yanmars? are these any good?

Thank-you for your response(S)

/ Yanmar purchase? #2  
Brian, you might want to fill out your bio and include your email so people can privately comment to you on Handler's or anyone else you might inquire about. Good comments are easy to post, but many people shy away from negative comments about a speicific dealer in an open forum. Most members on this forum are real thoughtful in that regard.

/ Yanmar purchase? #3  
Like Dave pointed out... bio/geo/email info will be helpfull.. however.. here are some yanmar tips in general.

Lots of places have claimed to import factor refurbed yanmars.

It is up to you to determine IF they really were refurbed, or just pressure washed and painted.

Refurb is a pretty vauge word... it might mean that they were bought and that major defects were corrected, and restored to a running state... i.e. fluids/filters changed, tires repaired/changed... obvious broken parts and non working parts replaced.. painted and out the door.
Then again.. you might actually have a dealer that rebuilt this engine.. anything from just an upper or lower rebuild.. to the full engine job.. possible even hyds, and front axle issues.

Look at the tractor... you can tell what a cobbled up repair looks like.. in most cases, you can even spot new repairs.. look for gaskets that arent painted like the rest of the casting.. or even the telltale rtv silicone gasket material extruded between two castings.. etc.

Look for leaks... check oil to see if it is low, dark, diluted,or emulsified with water... Same with hyd level.... check the function of the tractos hyds... ask to test drive.... listen/feel for engine transmission smoothness in all gears / ranges /throttle positions. .. just general engine stuff... look for excessive black smoke or slobber from the stack ( all diesels wll occasionally emit black smoke.. etc.. just the nature of the beast.. ).
Look at the electricals.. like gauges.. and charging system.

See if there is side to side play in any of the wheel bearings, by trying to rock the wheel side to side... good place to look for axle leaks is at the hubs, and on the insides of the rims.. etc.
Look for leaks around the pto, and front axle seals if it is a 4wd.

Find a dealer you can trust... you will need that dealer for parts and service.. so make sure you feel good about him, and the tractor.
Keep in mind it is a used machine. If it was well maintained, or rebuilt well, it has thousands of hours of life left. If it was abused.. or reapired just enough to limp off the trailer.. then you should be able to see signs of this when you inspect it.

This is all pretty much general tractor stuff.. not just limited to yanmar...

Good luck!

Soundguy

/ Yanmar purchase? #4  
Every tractor needs some TLC and service when they come in. When you think about it, a tractor that should go 5000+hrs before any engine work needs the engine rebuilt, something is way wrong. It had to be abused or neglected. There has to be more wrong on top of the engine. There are too many really good tractors out there to be gambling on one with 2 strikes on it to start with. I just got a tractor with over 1000 hours on it. That is the most hours of any I have had. It is the cleanest, smoothest running, mechanically sound tractor I have ever had. ( Yes. I put it my garage and hid it )

/ Yanmar purchase? #5  
How do you keep your wife out of the garage ?
Im hiding 3 right now, besides the 4 I already have. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Yanmar purchase? #6  
Yeah,
I only have three, and she keeps asking "How many tractors are there?" and "Which are you keeping?" I just can't hide them well enough.

/ Yanmar purchase? #7  
<font color="red">How do you keep your wife out of the garage ?"
</font>

Uh.....

Tell her there are rats and mice in there????