Yanmar Ring Gear Repair?

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #1  

Lyonsjonah

Tractor
Yanmar F16D, Kioti CK2620
Hello everyone, New to the forum. I'm at a bit of a loss with my current project and I'm looking for some direction. My tractor is a 1983 yanmar F16d 4x4. It developed a pretty nasty noise in the transmission so I decided to take it apart. Turns out the ring and pinion are missing teeth... I have contacted every grey market parts dealer in the states and no-one has any kind of idea of where to find one. Does anyone have any experience getting these gears repaired?

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #3  
A few chewed up/missing teeth might be repairable. A good machinist can cut you a new ring gear, but it will not be cheap.

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #4  
I fixed a swing rack for a log loader decades ago. Visualize a 3-4"± diameter rod 4'± long with gear teeth cut for roughly 1/2 the length for 1/3 the circumference in the middle of the rod. He ripped out two teeth completely and boogered up 1 or more teeth on either side in the middle. It was a full day job, lots of welding, grinding, fitting and keeping warm. It's still working believe it or not.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #5  
A good machinist can cut you a new ring gear, but it will not be cheap.
There nearly all dead or retired..people stopped needing alot of machine work decades ago.

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair?
Not the best picture. I didn't want to tear into it and not find a solution.

Attachments

• F16 DIFF.jpg
    F16 DIFF.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
   / Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #7  
There nearly all dead or retired..people stopped needing alot of machine work decades ago.
So true, I'm fortunate to have an Amish machinist as a neighbor. :)

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #8  
Hard to tell but it looks like your pinion is pooched too.
If it is only the crown gear, it doesn't look terribly bad. I'd be trying to repair it if a replacement is not available or too much cost, what have you got to lose.
EDIT: I didn't realize you had commented on the pinion already.

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair?
So true, I'm fortunate to have an Amish machinist as a neighbor. :)
I wouldn't mind speaking to this Amish machinist. :ROFLMAO:

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #10  
It's unfortunate but that repair is not an easy one. I'm a retired machinist, still have my shop, and would only attempt that repair if I had to. The reasons being that the ring and pinion are heat treated, hardened, and then finished on a machine made just for hobbing and/or grinding gears. If I had to make the repair myself I would weld up the broken teeth, rough grind by hand close to the proper profile, and then very carefully grind by hand using bluing to fit the ring and pinion. This would be a very long process. If you can find a place that does gear cutting you should talk to them and see what they think. Maybe try these folks: Replacement Parts They will reverse engineer your gears.
Eric