Yanmar SA424 dies when either drive pedal is pushed

/ Yanmar SA424 dies when either drive pedal is pushed #1  

crispyzee

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
I need some help here!

as the title says my tractor now dies whenever I step on either the forward or reverse pedal. it idles perfectly and runs perfectly at any rpm, but as soon as I step on one of the pedals it dies... I have no idea of where to look, but I will
tell you that the tractor would not start the other day and after I moved the pedals a little it fired right up. do you think this is related and if so what do I need to do?

Thanks,

Chris

/ Yanmar SA424 dies when either drive pedal is pushed #2  
I don't know that particular tractor, but all of us with F/R pedals or treadles know about a similar problem where the pedals turn off the tractor.

Here is what it might be....Where the pedals go through the floor there has got to be two things: One is a switch that won't let it start unless the pedals are in neutral, and the other is a switch that will turn it off if it thinks you are trying to select forward and reverse at the same time. Sounds like one of those switches either came loose, disconnected wires, out of adjustment, or has a twig jamming the switch. Sometimes the switches are a little distance awasy and are run by levers or even by cables from the pedal pivot. It's not uncommon for crud or twigs to get caught in them and cause that problem.

It's happened to mine several times

So if it were mine I'd look to see if something is wrong or caught down under the pedals. It might be under the tractor floor.