Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education.

/ Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education.
Have you seen this?

willy

I did see them both my good sir. I learned long ago before posting a question to a forum and ask someone to take the time and help you, help yourself first to a search of the forum and take the time to read if they have already answered it for you talking to someone else. Thank you for bringing them up though. It will allow me to correct myself from my previous post.

I apologize eptm (Eric) for getting confused. The second video posted by Willy actually has its own thread here on this forum. I mistakenly thought it was your original thread having reviewed so much material in a short time and add the fact that most all of these threads here pretty much look the same, I got my authors crossed. I looked through your post history but could not determine which contained the photos of your conversion. I do not know if I have seen yours or not without some affirmation.

Proper credit for the video I mentioned (and posted by Willy) with the excellent build thread on this forum should be given to CBW1999, who sadly seems to have been in active in the last year, but many thanks to you just the same.

The thread is here: Yanmar Tiller 2 point to 3 point conversion

/ Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education. #12  
I did see them both my good sir. I learned long ago before posting a question to a forum and ask someone to take the time and help you, help yourself first to a search of the forum and take the time to read if they have already answered it for you talking to someone else. Thank you for bringing them up though. It will allow me to correct myself from my previous post.

I apologize eptm (Eric) for getting confused. The second video posted by Willy actually has its own thread here on this forum. I mistakenly thought it was your original thread having reviewed so much material in a short time and add the fact that most all of these threads here pretty much look the same, I got my authors crossed. I looked through your post history but could not determine which contained the photos of your conversion. I do not know if I have seen yours or not without some affirmation.

Proper credit for the video I mentioned (and posted by Willy) with the excellent build thread on this forum should be given to CBW1999, who sadly seems to have been in active in the last year, but many thanks to you just the same.

The thread is here: Yanmar Tiller 2 point to 3 point conversion
No need for apology, I just didn't want credit for something I didn't do. And my offer still stands. If you want me to take pictures with a tape measure so you can scale stuff I'll do it. I am also a just retired self employed machinist and welder, so if you have any questions about the metalworking stuff I can probably help.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education. #13  
I believe that tiller is for an F-15 Yanmar....

I believe that tiller is for an F-15 Yanmar....

Me and Google thought we would put the tip you gave to good use. We located and have attached photos of an F155D with an attached RSA1205 tiller that is physically in Japan as I post this, ironically, on a site selling greymarket equipment.

Because the internet is forever and the above link will eventually go dead when the tractor is sold, this is the link to the page in the web archive, which is the forever of the internet.

Attachments

• 1205-1.jpg
    1205-1.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 1205-2.jpg
    1205-2.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 1205-3.jpg
    1205-3.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 1205-4.jpg
    1205-4.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 73
   / Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education. #15  
Me and Google thought we would put the tip you gave to good use. We located and have attached photos of an F155D with an attached RSA1205 tiller that is physically in Japan as I post this, ironically, on a site selling greymarket equipment.

Because the internet is forever and the above link will eventually go dead when the tractor is sold, this is the link to the page in the web archive, which is the forever of the internet.

I noticed that the For Sale machine+tiller is missing the hiller-disc wheels on the back. bummer.

The fabrication of converting this unit to a 3pt is all but complete. I will post up some pictures of our design to do this when the following question has been answered.

The PTO shaft of this tiller measures 29.6 mm (1.16 in) at the tines with a mic and there are 16 tines 4" long with no stop notch or block of any kind and extending another 4" or so before entering the gearbox. We knew finding a direct fit drive shaft for this would be silly to even look for and will fabricate a solution easy enough (read as "buy an adapter and weld it on"). What I want to know from the community is:

Can this tiller run at 540 rpm or best at 1000? Everything I find of documentation for this thing, which isn't much, is in a language I can not read. Based on the info in this thread, (photos), can anyone give a reasonable bit of guidance to this? It needs the appropriate spline count when the modification is made.

I know what I think... I wanna know what some of YOU think.

Cheers to you!

Attachments

• Yanmar 1205-4.jpg
    Yanmar 1205-4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • Yanmar 1205-5.jpg
    Yanmar 1205-5.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Yanmar 1205-6.jpg
    Yanmar 1205-6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • Yanmar 1205-7.jpg
    Yanmar 1205-7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
   / Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education. #17  
In my limited experience, 540 rpm for American use. This makes tiny clods with some air space. I tried 1,000 and it made fine powder that I expect would turn to clay. Apparently the higher speeds are for muck in rice paddies.

But others may have better advice.

/ Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education. #18  
I don't have a Yanmar tractor, but my experience with tilling is that ground speed, rotational tilling speed, and soil condition/type are all variables. You alter what is needed to get the desired soil condition.

All the best,

Peter

Running a 540 tiller at 1k rpms is not something I would do for any reason I can think of. 1k rpm units have different gear reduction ratios to adjust for the increased horsepower that usually is put to them. The 1k rpm units turn the tines with much greater force rather than for any increase in operational speed. When you get up in size of tillers running more and longer digging tines more power is required to turn it. It then hits those big rocks and giant roots MUCH harder, which develops too much back force for the 6 spline to take and they will frequently suffer catastrophic failures. The only difference between 540 and 1k rpm connections is 21 splines to take the abuse. Both use the same 1 3/8" shaft diameter.

With 16 splines and yet a 1 1/8" shaft I'm not 100% sure which is the correct speed this unit is designed for and I would really like to be.

/ Yanmar Tiller - RSA 1205 - Greenhorn needs an education. #20  
I have run my old yanmar tiller at all speeds with good results. However, with that spline, I would believe the tiller is made for higher speed then 540.