Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix

/ Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
My YM2310 is over 40 years old so of course it develops an oil leak. I noticed some oil on the ground at the rear of the tractor, couldn't see the source, so I washed the back end of the machine, drove it around for a bit, and then looked for a fresh leak. It turned out that the leak was coming from the top of the main rear end casting, where the casting is bolted to the other big casting that acts as a cover, among other things. At first I thought it was a gasket but the real culprit was loose bolts. 7 or 8 of them. Not real loose, tighter than finger tight but easy to turn with a wrench. After tightening all the loose bolts and checking all the other bolts I could see the leak has stopped. I got lucky that I noticed the leak before the bolts became loose enough to allow things to shift and cause damage. Ya gotta check stuff on tractors on a regular basis and I just got a really good lesson for a really good price.
Eric

/ Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix #2  
My YM2310 is over 40 years old so of course it develops an oil leak. I noticed some oil on the ground at the rear of the tractor, couldn't see the source, so I washed the back end of the machine, drove it around for a bit, and then looked for a fresh leak. It turned out that the leak was coming from the top of the main rear end casting, where the casting is bolted to the other big casting that acts as a cover, among other things. At first I thought it was a gasket but the real culprit was loose bolts. 7 or 8 of them. Not real loose, tighter than finger tight but easy to turn with a wrench. After tightening all the loose bolts and checking all the other bolts I could see the leak has stopped. I got lucky that I noticed the leak before the bolts became loose enough to allow things to shift and cause damage. Ya gotta check stuff on tractors on a regular basis and I just got a really good lesson for a really good price.
Eric
Did you upgrade to a Yanmar TM2310 2014 machine now?
:LOL:

Why post here and not in the Yanmar section?

Good advice. I too have found things like this with older equipment.

/ Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix #3  
ONLY 40 years old, and already has an oil leak.

Come to think of it I was showing some wear at that age, also.
:)

/ Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix
Did you upgrade to a Yanmar TM2310 2014 machine now?
:LOL:

Why post here and not in the Yanmar section?

Good advice. I too have found things like this with older equipment.
Oops! YM2310 of course. The reason I posted where I did was because I figured this was a generic old tractor problem and something all of us old tractor owners should be aware of.
Eric

/ Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix #5  
Oops! YM2310 of course. The reason I posted where I did was because I figured this was a generic old tractor problem and something all of us old tractor owners should be aware of.
Eric
I tend to post it like a blog. This way, when I get too old and very forgetful, I come back here in 15 years and read what some BMaverick did and say, hey, that was me. LOL

A good example is this,

/ Yanmar TM2310 oil leak and the fix #6  
I am always finding, and looking for, loose bolts on my YM240. Here is one I missed. In the first pic you can see the silver head of the horizontal bolt that loosened up. As it slowly unscrewed it pushed out into the hub and hub bolts. Did a surgical job of slowly shearing both the hub and bolts! New hub and bolts, with a bit of blue loctite on them and the 3 point bolt, and everything seems good so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4721.jpeg
    IMG_4721.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39