Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #1  

jd4310man

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar VIO27-3, New Holland LX885, John Deere 855 C.U.T.
A local used equipment dealer is offering an 06 Yanmar VIO 27-3 mini excavator. He's asking $3000 for it as it is missing most of the undercarriage parts, drive motors, sprockets, one front idler and tensioner. The only other parts missing is the injection pump and a digging bucket. My question is this a good deal considering it needs a lot of major parts to make it work. All the hydraulics are in place and not leaking, engine is very clean. I figured it needs 5 or 6 Grand to make it run again. Should I take a gamble on it?

Attachments

• 00101_aobfbZTjndh_1200x900.jpg
    00101_aobfbZTjndh_1200x900.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 648
   / Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #2  
I am not an expert by a long shot, but all the engine being clean really means is that it might have been cleaned since the last time it ran. Without the injection pump you have no idea.

I wouldn't take it if it was free. Way too many expensive parts needed, plus a huge amount of labor.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #3  
Ohhhh boy... if it were me... I would pass. Unless you are very mechanically inclined and have the tool box to handle it. I'm guessing it was taken out of service and used for parts for a reason.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator
Well, Im no stranger to involved projects. In fact I like a good challenge! Yes in does need quite a few high ticket items, but look at the prices for running ones! Very pricey. By the way its showing 3000 hrs on the meter.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #5  
IMO, Pic looks like scrap metal to me.
Way to much needed to repair. For what you would have to put in it you can probably buy a running one.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #6  
No one parks and disassembles a good machine. I'd take a hard pass on that one.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #7  
Drive motors w/sprokets, $2000 ea (likely conservative)
Set of tracks 800
Front idler + tensioner $1200 ( I just this week rebuilt on my IHI)
Bottom rollers...200 each
Injector pump w/o core, $1000 to 1500
Bucket, few hundred.

So you're probably at 8k just to get it to the point you can see why they junked it....no, I'd pass.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #8  
Have to agree, a lot of money just to get it "whole" then hope there is no hidden problems.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #9  
I guess I'll toss in my $0.02 since everyone else is... And, I agree with the others... Don't buy it. It would be one thing if you had the same model mini and then you could buy this one as a spare for parts and other junk, but yeah, the amount of cash you would have to put into this would cost more than just buying a good used mini ex.

/ Yanmar VIO27-3 excavator #10  
I guess I'll toss in my $0.02 since everyone else is... And, I agree with the others... Don't buy it. It would be one thing if you had the same model mini and then you could buy this one as a spare for parts and other junk, but yeah, the amount of cash you would have to put into this would cost more than just buying a good used mini ex.

Ditto !!!
Ditto !!!
Ditto !!!