yanmar ym 186d -86

/ yanmar ym 186d -86 #11  
totaly dead . when i turn the key nothing happens
i have 12v at battery and at starter, maybe some kind of kill switch or antitheft? :) .ps have nothing under the seat.
I would start with a voltmeter or test light to discover where the 12 Volts stops.

There should be 12V provided to the key switch continually. On my YM240 that is provided from a terminal on the voltage regulator that is also connected to the battery, and it may be the same on your YM186D. Look for a small wire that in effect, starts from the battery or else from a terminal that is connected direct to the battery.

Then twisting the key right should send 12V to the starter solenoid. But on the way it has to pass through the clutch safety switch (which passes electricity only when the clutch is depressed) and the PTO safety switch (must be in neutral). With the key OFF (!) you can use the resistance part of the voltmeter to test if these two safety switches pass/block current when they should.

If you find that key-on sends power all the way to the starter solenoid, then the starter is bad. But I think it is far more likely that the tracing I described above will locate the point where 12v isn't getting through.

/ yanmar ym 186d -86
There are two start safety switches on the electrical diagram. One for the pto and one for the clutch. Pto is 2 speed. 1000 rpm up and 540 down. Neutral is in the middle. The clutch needs to be all the way down.

The troubleshooting guide from the manual for "starter will not crank"

starter safety switch is not correctly adjusted of failed.

Battery capacity is low.

battery cables are loose.

defective starter.

defective main switch.

I don't think measuring 12 volts at the battery tells you if the battery is good. Have you tried jumping it?

Chris

ive tried jumping it with the battery i drained it and then started with a car battery ( D)

/ yanmar ym 186d -86
I would start with a voltmeter or test light to discover where the 12 Volts stops.

There should be 12V provided to the key switch continually. On my YM240 that is provided from a terminal on the voltage regulator that is also connected to the battery, and it may be the same on your YM186D. Look for a small wire that in effect, starts from the battery or else from a terminal that is connected direct to the battery.

Then twisting the key right should send 12V to the starter solenoid. But on the way it has to pass through the clutch safety switch (which passes electricity only when the clutch is depressed) and the PTO safety switch (must be in neutral). With the key OFF (!) you can use the resistance part of the voltmeter to test if these two safety switches pass/block current when they should.

If you find that key-on sends power all the way to the starter solenoid, then the starter is bad. But I think it is far more likely that the tracing I described above will locate the point where 12v isn't getting through.

---------------
12v goes straight from battery to starter and from that big red cable(at starter) goes a smaller red to keyrelay, from the keyrelay cable goes to clutch(safety switch) and from clutch to a kind of lever(safety switch) on the leftside of the seat by the foot and from that part im not sure where it goes
...... im also charging up the battery as i write

the thing that baffels me is that nothing happens att all when i turn the key no lights at all,,,,,

i sure could use a circuit diagram do you know where i can get one?

/ yanmar ym 186d -86
yes! cable between keyigniton and starter (+) was burnt of
copper within the cable was burnt of

thanks for all the help from everyone!!:D