Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment

/ Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment #11  
4-8mm for toe in. I don't think camber is adjustable.
I was going to say the same thing. I don't know how you can adjust camber? It's a king pin type setup but there is nothing to adjust on this.

/ Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment #13  
Here they are
From a couple thousand miles away, that camber doesn't look that out of whack to me, ;) (but what do I know), though the toe-in isn't really visible... I would be more concerned if when you had a front wheel jacked up off the ground and could rattle it (bad bearing or kingpin wear).

Is there some tractor operation that leads you to think something is amiss? Normally, if the toe-in is badly off, you have tire scrubbing, hard turning, or if you have toe-out (the wheels are pointed out), no straight line control to speak of.

Toe-in.jpg

Basically, in a tractor both (slight) toe-in, and negative camber, gives a zone of stable operation, but too much of either when generates tire wear. Cars...well life is more complex due to performance and suspension factors, but generally the same until you get to race cars. Race cars and performance vehicles can have things like positive camber due to anticipated down force and other factors. Speed changes the tire shape/height, and potentially the load, affecting camber. Generally, as toe-out is unstable so it is used only in race cars for performance (hyper responsive steering).

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment
From a couple thousand miles away, that camber doesn't look that out of whack to me, ;) (but what do I know), though the toe-in isn't really visible... I would be more concerned if when you had a front wheel jacked up off the ground and could rattle it (bad bearing or kingpin wear).

Is there some tractor operation that leads you to think something is amiss? Normally, if the toe-in is badly off, you have tire scrubbing, hard turning, or if you have toe-out (the wheels are pointed out), no straight line control to speak of.

Toe-in.jpg

Basically, in a tractor both (slight) toe-in, and negative camber, gives a zone of stable operation, but too much of either when generates tire wear. Cars...well life is more complex due to performance and suspension factors, but generally the same until you get to race cars. Race cars and performance vehicles can have things like positive camber due to anticipated down force and other factors. Speed changes the tire shape/height, and potentially the load, affecting camber. Generally, as toe-out is unstable so it is used only in race cars for performance (hyper responsive steering).

All the best,

Peter
Thanks for the post Peter. It appears to be positive camber with slight toe-in from the pictures. When I am on the tractor the toe-in appears to be worse almost as if the right front tire (sitting on the tractor) is being pushed in as I am moving forward but appears to be less when sitting still as in the pictures, that is one of my concerns.

I will have to go back out and lift the front end up in the air and see if there is any rattling coming from either wheel.

It's not if it's front wheel assist. Camber is built into the outboard castings. Neither is castor.
This is a front wheel assist tractor, I was thinking king pin issue initially as others had mentioned too.

/ Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment #16  
On the Yanmar the camber was Pos. and over the Yrs. it Zero'd out. Finally the R. front wobbled so bad from the wheel bearings Both!! So I knew were the problem was. Replaced them and now it still has a lot of Pos.. The bearing fell out in pieces what very little was left of them. It even scarred the Axle. My guess was keeping it greased is how it lasted that long.

On the Yanmar the camber was Pos. and over the Yrs. it Zero'd out. Finally the R. front wobbled so bad from the wheel bearings Both!! So I knew were the problem was. Replaced them and now it still has a lot of Pos.. The bearing fell out in pieces what very little was left of them. It even scarred the Axle. My guess was keeping it greased is how it lasted that long.
Interesting. I have a YM155d and a YM2210d and neither of those two tractors front end look like my ym1510d in terms of camber and toe, unless they are just more worn??..

/ Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment #18  
Interesting. I have a YM155d and a YM2210d and neither of those two tractors front end look like my ym1510d in terms of camber and toe, unless they are just more worn??..
Wear is certainly a possibility, but so is the possibility that your steering system needs adjusting. I think as @careyo63 posted above, there is a combination of greasing, usage, soil type, and luck that determines how long the seals last, and therefore when the bearings start to go. Personally, once a seal starts leaking, I think that it is time to replace it, as nothing good comes of postponing the service; pins and axles get scored, and if the bearings give out, the surfaces may require real machining to repair.

Some of these machines spent years axle deep in rice paddies, and may have a need for maintenance that isn't obvious from our usage.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yanmar YM1510D Camber & Toe Adjustment #19  
After replacing the Wheel bearings I then could Adj. out all the Play with the steering column sector! The Adj. hard to get to. Pretty much all the same on the YM series

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 137
In the Pic your see were to look for the Adj. Set and lock nut on the base of the Gear box. That adj. took all of the last play out! That's been over a decade ago easy.