Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #31  
re 3-point lift capacity:

Here's an old photo I posted years ago. What I wrote in that post: (water is 8.3 lbs per gallon plus under 100 lbs for the platform and cans)

"Lifting capacity: I tried five 30 gallon cans of water on the pallet - the hydraulics couldn't lift it but it didn't hurt the forks. Four, likewise. Finally 3 cans (about 750 lbs including the forks and pallet) lifted easily and off I went."

72662d1174523073-3-pt-carryall-p00069rwateronforks-jpg

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity
Lot's of opinions on this. I can tell you the Yanmar 276 manual states the front to rear ratio 1.638 to 1 and 0% run out and a 0 and 6% wear limit.
The 226 manual states the front to rear ratio 1.743 to 1 and 1 to 4% run out with 0 and 6% wear limit.
Based on that information I would say you need to be between 0 and 6% run out.

I cannot tell you what the original rice tires are. If you have the manufacturer name and information off the tire it might be available. I can tell you from quite a bit of research that manufactures do not stick together on diameters or rolling circumference.

Thx
I don't have the manufacturer name off my rice tires now.

Do you or someone else have a rolling circumference ratio for the YM2220D?

@ California
Thank you for your picture and your water lift test, interesting :thumbsup:

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #33  
The front to rear Rolling Circumference ratio is the critical measurement, because it needs to match the transmission's internal front to rear gear ratio. Because tires compress, rolling circumference is only loosely related to diameter.....which means that simply multiplying diameter times pi doesn't help. Luckily, rolling circumference is quite easy to measure by putting a splotch of wet paint on the tread and driving stright down a roadway. The distance between splotches is true rolling circumference. Although all tire manufacturers know the rolling circumference of their tires, they do not always list it with sales specs. They do list it in their technical specs.

Get it as close as you can. 10% is just on the borderline of being too much. Obviously turf tires can deal with 10% difference because the tire will slip and thus protect the drive train. Lugged tires put more stress on the system. You will feel drive train "stress windup" as a reluctance to shift out of 4wd. If you have that, use the loader to lift the front wheels and it will allow the stress to unwind.

Just for an interesting experiment, I once built a YM336D with zero ratio difference. That is, the front to rear tire ratio exactly matched the transmission front to rear gear ratio. I could shift it into and out of 4wd without any complaint - even while traveling at road speed. Downside was that there was not enough shaft windup to hold the lever into or out of 4wd, and it required fabricating a lock to keep the lever from making decisions all on its own.
rScotty

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #34  
"Do you or someone else have a rolling circumference ratio for the YM2220D?"

Assuming you are asking about the front to rear ratio. I have never seen this listed on any grey market Yanmar. The repair manuals are not in existence for them.

If yours shifts in and out of 4 wheel drive without binding I would think you could conclude your tire ratio is correct and stick with it.

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #35  
"Do you or someone else have a rolling circumference ratio for the YM2220D?"

Assuming you are asking about the front to rear ratio. I have never seen this listed on any grey market Yanmar. The repair manuals are not in existence for them.

If yours shifts in and out of 4 wheel drive without binding I would think you could conclude your tire ratio is correct and stick with it.

I don't know that I've seen the ratio published for for any Yanmar.....or any tractor for that matter. Some do give an internal transmission ratio in the shop manual specs, but I've never checked it to see if it is correct.

I agree that if it shifts in and out of 4wd without binding then the ratio is close enough. All that really matters is not stressing the drive train beyond its elastic limit.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #36  
1st picture out of 220/226 repair manual, 2nd out of 276 repair manual.ratio 001.JPGratio 002.JPG

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #37  
1st picture out of 220/226 repair manual, 2nd out of 276 repair manual.View attachment 525454View attachment 525455

Of those various ratios on your second page picture, the one for the YM276,
I think the ratio I'd pick to try to match with tire rolling circumferece would be the "Front Axle-to-Rear Axle Speed Ratio of 1.638:1
But I'd still prefer to measure them myself.
rScotty

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity
Thanks guys, that helps me a lot :thumbsup:

Time to think about the winch and rear tires now..

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #39  
"not ever seen the ratio published" Then Winston Pulls out the manuals and there it is stated in it!! :confused2: hahahaa