Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #11  
Lotsa good replies here and lots to think about. I could fab up the triangular piece but I decided to instead make up a couple extensions so that the tiller moves back and so that I can use the provided drive shaft without cutting it any shorter. Today the rain and wind lessened enough that I was able to finally take some pictures. I hope they help with identifying this particular model. When I am done with the extensions the tiller will be moved about 5 inches back. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please chime in. This tiller mod needs to be done soon so that I can get the drainfield tilled and seeded before the winter weather gets too cold.

Nice. I created a folder on my system to start comparing. Yes, the tiller is missing some things. Were you able to see any hints of the old paint or primer on the tiller anywhere? And the side shields are white eh? Were they originally white to begin with? That would really help with knowing the side shield color. ;)

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems
Five inches sounds like a lot. 'Measure twice cut once'.

And you might want to swap those rear tires side to side to improve forward traction.

That's a nice looking tiller. I can see how they are getting top dollar for them.
From what I understand the tires the way they are now have more forward traction. My son put them the way they are now, surprise Dad!, to do me a favor. He said I would now have more traction. I would rather have less forward traction. I seem to get stuck going forward more often and then need better rear traction to get out. If they have less traction the way they are now then I'm happy. So why would making the tiller be 5 inches farther back be a problem? I really don't see why it would be so that's why I'm asking. This is my first tractor mounted tiller.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #13  
My comment on '5 inches' was simply to mean measure what the driveline needs at maximum lift and depth, then build to suit.

A full 5 inches seems to be a lot, but your actual measurements are what's important.

If I were doing the project I would copy Winston's design, with dimensions to fit my quick hitch. If you're lucky, that would also match the dimension the driveline needs.

My comment on '5 inches' was simply to mean measure what the driveline needs at maximum lift and depth, then build to suit.

A full 5 inches seems to be a lot, but your actual measurements are what's important.

If I were doing the project I would copy Winston's design, with dimensions to fit my quick hitch. If you're lucky, that would also match the dimension the driveline needs.
As things are now I would need to remove at least 4 inches from the driveline. I'm going for the extra inch so that I can put the driveline in after connecting the tiller to the 3 point hitch. I totally appreciate and understand your advice though. It's good advice. Timely too, since I haven't yet started cutting any metal yet. What I will do is set the tiller on the ground and space it where I can put the driveline on. Then measure for the plates to be added on.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #15  
When I added my extensions I first used 1/4" plate with no reinforcement. After getting out in my rocky ground and bouncing it around some I then added a little more reinforcement. The further you go out the stronger your addition will need to be. Not hard to cut a drive shaft off but it is sure nuff difficult to add length.

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #16  
BTDT and shortened the shaft. Wasn't much to it. 3 cuts. 1 cut on the open side. Took about 2-3" off and that made a coupling. 6-8" off the shaft side. Used the coupling to attach the shaft side back together. Didn't take long or anything special. El-cheapo HF. stick welder and a hand grinder I changed to a cutting blade. Maybe 10$ in cost. Being further away from the Tractor made a big diffence to the way Yanmar set it up. Length Vibration cutting Depth Etc.. They have a good Idea how to set them up. They've done a couple over the Yrs.. Still have that shortened shaft and no Attachment has ever needed it to be that short. It's Solid and welcome to it. Used it a few times until they sent the correct one. Last Tiller they had and was told that I better go get it.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 164

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #17  
BTDT and shortened the shaft. Wasn't much to it. 3 cuts. 1 cut on the open side. Took about 2-3" off and that made a coupling. 6-8" off the shaft side. Used the coupling to attach the shaft side back together. Didn't take long or anything special. El-cheapo HF. stick welder and a hand grinder I changed to a cutting blade. Maybe 10$ in cost. Being further away from the Tractor made a big differnce to the way Yanmar set it up. Length Vibration cutting Depth Etc.. They have a good Idea how to set them up. They've done a couple over the Yrs.. Still have that shortened shaft and no Attachment has ever needed it to be that short. It's Solid and welcome to it. Used it a few times until they sent the correct one. Last Tiller they had and was told that I better go get it.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg

Is that you on the machine? Or your machine with the tiller? I've seen this image on the image search engines so much when looking for, Yanmar Tiller It's a popular image. :)

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #18  
O8 I believe. What I use to look like. I went down or hurt and lost a lot of weight in early 09. Been told it was highly unusal I survived all the injury's and it didn't do me in by my Doctor. Aneurysm started it. Couldn't remember my password and reset my Org. member on here. Gained some weight back etc. Tight fit back then as you can see so I know to keep the weight off. :)

BTDT and shortened the shaft. Wasn't much to it. 3 cuts. 1 cut on the open side. Took about 2-3" off and that made a coupling. 6-8" off the shaft side. Used the coupling to attach the shaft side back together. Didn't take long or anything special. El-cheapo HF. stick welder and a hand grinder I changed to a cutting blade. Maybe 10$ in cost. Being further away from the Tractor made a big diffence to the way Yanmar set it up. Length Vibration cutting Depth Etc.. They have a good Idea how to set them up. They've done a couple over the Yrs.. Still have that shortened shaft and no Attachment has ever needed it to be that short. It's Solid and welcome to it. Used it a few times until they sent the correct one. Last Tiller they had and was told that I better go get it.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
Thanks for the offer, I'll take it. After tilting the tiller forward to get the shafts parallel I measured the distance and your shortened shaft will work, plus there is plenty of room between the tiller and the tires. Now all I need to do is shorten the top link. If you send me a PM we can work out the shipping details.
Thanks Again,
Eric