Yanmar YM240D

/ Yanmar YM240D #2  
...1975 YANMAR YM240 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com...
It's about a 1981. That external air cleaner and Model# medallion were only used in YM240's final year.
anyone know if $3500 is a good price? Says 46 hours
I think it's a fair price IF it checks out to be in good condition. That model is near indestructible but any machine can be trashed by neglected maintenance.

046 hours on a 3 digit meter is meaningless. The rusty wheels, the replacement muffler, and the missing tip on the throttle lever more clearly portray its 25+ years of use.
can you disengage the 4WD and can you engage a diff lock on this model?
Yes and yes.

The front tires look too large to me.

I don't see anything so far in the available information that is a red flag. Check it over carefully to verify that it is as good as it looks.

You might like to review the original Yanmar brochure referenced in my sig, below.

/ Yanmar YM240D
Thanks for the terrific info. Really appreciate it. I also think the front wheels look too tall.

If I get the money, i'll make sure it runs good before buying.

Can you change gears while rolling?

Thanks.

/ Yanmar YM240D #4  
NO , you can't shift on the fly

/ Yanmar YM240D #6  
If the front tires are too big. When in 4wd they may be out of sinc with thr rear

/ Yanmar YM240D #7  
Fronts should be 5.00 x 15 according to the 'optional equipment' section in the brochure I referenced.

That ad says this tractor's fronts are 27x8.50-15. I'll leave it to somebody else to research if those have the same rolling diameter as the recommended 5.00x15.

/ Yanmar YM240D
I think we've discovered the problem. Brochure says a 20" Dia turf tire. Ad says it's a 27". If this is all correct, then the front end it 3.5" high. Also the drive ratio would be off. Is that a solid link to the front axle, or something hydraulic? Seems like the tire sizes should be specific so the front end is not trying to go faster that the rear end.

Thanks.

/ Yanmar YM240D #9  
Somebody has cobbled together stuff that Yanmar never anticipated. On the rear, it has 24 inch turf tires on relatively narrow rims that I think Yanmar intended for ag tires. On the front, I see wide 15 inch rims, where Yanmar specified either a 10 inch diameter rim (for turf) or else a 15 inch diameter x 3 inch wide rim for the specified 5.00 x 15 tire.

This isn't a deal killer, but I would expect to replace the front tires with ones of the correct working diameter.

I'll bet the owner only used fwd rarely, when stuck, after mounting the first cheap tires he got his hands on. If the size mismatch is as bad as it looks, the front tires would skid and hop if he left it in fwd on dry ground.

Be sure to check for excessive wear in the entire driveline.

/ Yanmar YM240D #10  
I looked in the Optional Equipment chapter of the YM240 Operation manual, Turf Option described, and discovered that this tractor is fitted with the correct tires:

Front 27x8.50-15(2PR) Rear 11.2/10-24(4PR).

(Wheels that are 10 inch front, 16 inch rear are for the 2wd Turf option.)

So tire size is one less problem to worry about. Sorry about dragging your thread off-topic.