Yanmar YM330D 4WD broken

/ Yanmar YM330D 4WD broken #1  

Z's Creek

Tractor
none
Looking at a Yanmar YM330D with 1600 hours. 4wd doesn't work and current owner bought it that way and doesn't have any info. Im new to tractors but not to mechanical work. Question is how hard/expensive would it be to fix the 4wd? Asking price for the unit is $6000. I know Im not giving much info but even general answers or ball park estimates would be appreciated.

/ Yanmar YM330D 4WD broken #2  
Looking at a Yanmar YM330D with 1600 hours. 4wd doesn't work and current owner bought it that way and doesn't have any info. Im new to tractors but not to mechanical work. Question is how hard/expensive would it be to fix the 4wd? Asking price for the unit is $6000. I know Im not giving much info but even general answers or ball park estimates would be appreciated.
Very nice older tractor. That YM330D was a design made for the US market and was the largest sold here by Yanmar back in the late 1970s and 80s when they first began to promote their bevel gear front axle. That axle is now standard for many brands.

There are several web site groups dedicated to those older Yanmars. And also a Vintage Yanmar group right here on TBN. Look farther down the directory to find them. The tractors themselves have achieved a sort of cult status because of their quality, literature, and mechanic-friendly design. Most parts are available.

As to fixing the 4wd, that obviously depends on what is wrong with it. It could be as simple as the 4wd shift selector, or as complex as the front differential... or it could be the driveshaft in between.
The YM330D (4wd) was also available as a YM330 (2wd) with interchangeable parts. So it makes a well balanced 2wd tractor. If you like the tractor - and particularly if it has the Yanmar front loader - you might find it makes a decent 2wd tractor. 4wd is nice, but you can do a lot in 2wd if you have a good one with good tires, some weight, and a lot of gears to choose from.

Those old Yanmars are a great machine for a mechanic or someone wanting to learn about mechanical things. Simple and rugged. Good resources. Pretty reliable. But if you don't enjoy doing mechanical things, I'd give it a pass.
rScotty

Last edited: