Yanmar yt359 vs Massey 2850/60m

/ Yanmar yt359 vs Massey 2850/60m #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Greetings,

I have been posting a lot of threads lately in the operating section, getting everyones feedback on tractor functions. I appreciate all the feedback I have been given. I have been on a 6 year long quest for a new tractor. I am probably going to pull the trigger on one within the next 2 weeks. I can assure everyone that I have been on every tractor, in every color, in a 100 mile radius that is in my size range. I really liked the Deere 4052r and the Kubota L4760 was nice as well but the prices have really given me pause and you still have to pay extra to get what comes standard on the below machines. I also looked at the Deere 5e series and Kubota M60 series. A few years ago I was sure I wanted a utility sized tractor but I really think I can get everthing done with a 50-60 HP compact. I currently have all 6ft attachments and want to try and stay in this realm. I might get a beefier box blade in the future but the tractors I am looking at will handle it with no problem.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking hard at LS and Deere (leaning towards LS) but decided to look at all tractor manufacturers in my 100 mile radius. I really like the Massey 2850/60m series tractors. They are really nice and comfortable to operate with a huge platform. Their Cabs in my opinion were the best out of everything I looked at. I was pretty set on Massey and then told myself to go look at a Yanmar. We have a dealer 30 minutes away that has been there for 6 years. He looks to be growing and his main bread and butter is Yanmar tractors. He is an actual dealer/shop. I must say that the Yanmar YT359 OOS is the biggest bang for the buck and of the highest quality. Comes standard with 2 rear remotes. The machine itself just "feels like a real tractor". All metal and just beefy. I really like the transmission on it as well. Yanmar really designed this tractor well and nothing on it looks cheap to me. Plenty of leg room and flat platform. Just extrememly nice. Cannot believe more folks in my area are not hopping on these tractors.

So right at this moment I have the Yanmar on hold with the dealer but still like the Massey as well. My biggest concern with the Yanmar is the future. Are they going to be here in 10 years? There is a lot of electrical items on it and I dont want to be stuck 5 or so years out with a tractor I cannot get fixed. My biggest concern with the Massey is PTO HP. It is right much less than other manufacturers. I know it will handle everything I have but I am upgrading and want more PTO HP than I have now (35HP). I can get more PTO but have to step up to the 60HP and price. I can get a CAB 2850M for a very good price. It is shuttle shift/power reverser. I like the shuttle but I have really grown to like their HST. Smooth as butter and easy to operate, also more expensive.

Hear are the rough numbers (I will be putting down 10K):

Massey 2850m Cab Shuttle - 52K after taxes and finance
Massey 2850m Cab HST - 55K after taxes and finance

Massey 2850m OOS - sale price 40k after taxes and finance
Yanmar YT359 OOS - 37,500 - Cash after taxes, will finance w/farm credit - total over loan 45,300
Yanmar YT359 Cab - 52K ($935 a month for 60) - total $ 56,100

Massey 2860m Cab Shuttle - 56,500 after taxes and finance
Massey 2860m Cab HST - 60K after taxes and finance.
Massey 2860m OOS Shuttle - 47K after taxes and finance.

John Deere and Kubota were 8 to 10K over on all simliar machines above when working out eveything not including all upgrades I would have to pay extra for. Just did not feel like listing it all out. I can cover a lot of expenses with 8 to 10K left over. Final note - all tractors I looked at are premium tractors at the top of the compact segment. I do not want anything lesser.

What advice/opinions/knowledge do you have to share? Really appreciate being able to come to this site and seek out info.

Thanks

/ Yanmar yt359 vs Massey 2850/60m #2  
I have a vintage Yanmar. These are built so well. Even the new machines do not lack either. The key you need to consider is the dealer network in your area.

If you were impressed with the Deere with the Yanmar engine, then the Yanmar machine with all the needed hardware for less is best.

Now, the Massey with the Iseki E4FH is a good contender too. Iseki makes great stuff as well. You can't go wrong either way.

The question is, are you looking at 20 and 30 years out? A common global engine is key for the long haul. With my Yanmar, it has the global 3T80 engine. In its era, it was used everywhere. Finding common maintenance parts is really easy and affordable.