Yard work...

/ Yard work... #12  
You guys are "having way too much fun" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I was working on the rear remote yesterday when wife comes in and says "I want you to take a tree out".
I'm thinking, fun time.
It's a puny little 3" oak /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'm thinking, instead of pushing it over (5 minutes?), maybe I'll take the chainsaw and cut it down. At least I can use the BH to dig the stump out (and I need the practice).
Some people have all the fun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

/ Yard work... #13  
Hi Derek, You said that <font color="blue"> "I will either rent an excavator to pull them or hire someone." </font> Ever consider having the stumps ground instead. If not in an area where they have to be absolutely gone this is probable the least expensive way though not as much fun as digging. Around here it is hard to get rid of stumps and does cost a premium unless you dig a hole and bury them, which brings you full circle. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just a suggestion to consider. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Yard work... #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( John
I think you need my IH TD20B dozer )</font>
That would probably do it, but it would make my Kioti very jealous!
John

/ Yard work...
<font color="blue">
Hi Derek, You said that "I will either rent an excavator to pull them or hire someone." Ever consider having the stumps ground instead.</font>

I never thought about that. Is that a machine I can rent or do I need to hire someone to do it?
I dont mind having the root ball there, I will be filling it in a little and loam/seeding it. Thanks for the heads up.

/ Yard work... #16  
Derek, there are quite a few people around here, central Connecticut that grind stumps as a part-time business, night and weekend stuff. They advertise in all the free flyers and home improvement sections of the local papers. I had 10, six to sixteen inch stumps ground out for $375.00 a couple of years back. They were all in a straight row about 75 feet long so it was pretty straight forward. It took the guy about five hours. You jut need to cut them as close as reasonable possible to the ground and the grinder will go down below the surface six inches more or so depending on the stump.

I have never used one, I just hired someone to do it for me. I have not seen any rental units around here but they may be available elsewhere. When they are done there is very little left to the main trunk mostly just roots of various kinds.

By the way if you are advantageous, there are manufactures of 3ph stump grinders here is a web site to check out. http://www.shavermfg.com/stumpbuster.htm

Hope this helps, -Steve

/ Yard work...
That does help Steve,

Thanks

/ Yard work... #18  
They rent stump grinders out here. I have never used one, but I intend to try one sometime in the future. I have some trees gone/will be gone that will need ground.

/ Yard work... #19  
rback33 - Dick says Hi

Derek - The strap for your door is on it's way

sorry I didn't get right back to you, but my best friends 17 year-old son was killed a couple days ago and have been dealing with that

Nice load of wood by the way.

/ Yard work... #20  
I was just surfing TSC's website earlier and saw some stuff called Gordon's Stump Remover that's supposed to decompose it over the course of a few weeks. Once it's decomposed you're supposed to be able to soak it with kerosene and burn it right out of the hole. Anyone ever tried this stuff? I know it's not as fun as digging the stump out with your backhoe, but it might be a wee bit less destructive to the surrounding ground...