Year-round oil viscosity

/ Year-round oil viscosity #1  

Obi-Wan-YJ

Tractor
LS XR4145, Ford 8N
I just bought a low-hour 2016 LS XR4145, their 45-horse CUT. It's overdue for an oil change.

I live in Nebraska, where we see temps between -20F and 104F every year. I use my tractor year-round, but I don't use it enough to warrant changing the oil more than once per year.

The manual says to use 5W-30 for cold temps between -25F and 68F, and 10W-30 for warm temps between 14F and 104F. If I run full synthetic oil, which viscosity would be the better choice for year-round operation?

This is my first diesel engine, so I'm still figuring out all the differences & similarities with gas engines.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #2  
Welcome, I'd would go with (Rotella or the like) 5w40 synthetic if it were me in those temps.
Then.... I'd move south!

/ Year-round oil viscosity #3  
I just bought a low-hour 2016 LS XR4145, their 45-horse CUT. It's overdue for an oil change.

I live in Nebraska, where we see temps between -20F and 104F every year. I use my tractor year-round, but I don't use it enough to warrant changing the oil more than once per year.

The manual says to use 5W-30 for cold temps between -25F and 68F, and 10W-30 for warm temps between 14F and 104F. If I run full synthetic oil, which viscosity would be the better choice for year-round operation?

This is my first diesel engine, so I'm still figuring out all the differences & similarities with gas engines.
I'd just use Rotella T6 5W40

/ Year-round oil viscosity #4  
Yeah I think T6 would work well in those temps

/ Year-round oil viscosity #5  
I’m using the already mentioned Rotella T6.
Forget about the once a year change, change it at the recommended hours otherwise you’re just wasting a very valuable natural resource.
Congratulations on the new to you used tractor, seems like it should be a very nice tractor.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #6  
Oh lets talk oil... again.

First, congratulations on your tractor! I love mine! It's a 2018, well, thats when I bought it new.

Contrary to what others may think, you wont harm anything by changing the engine oil twice or three times per year. The only thing that will get hurt is your bank account. Conversely, you can do annual oil changes. I wouldn't go over a year though. When oil starts to break down, and then sits, it seems to oxidize or get sludgy. Bad things happen. But once a year should be good.

But lets talk about the advice you will receive asking such questions on this forum.

Consider your tractor. And please look at the tractors of those who give advice. I'm not naysaying their advice, but sometimes people will post advice about your tractor, thinking its the same as theirs, when it's not. For example, our tractor has a small little turbo. That turbo is extremely finicky about the oil. Do a quick search on this forum to find several posts about turbos blowing up on these tractors. And the most common reason they fail is due to lack of maintenance, not letting it cool down properly, or using the wrong oil.

So what type of oil for your tractor and your climate?

Any 5w-30, 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 will work just fine. If you wanted to do a winter and summer oil change, I'd go 5w-40 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. I also run full synthetic, and tend to grab the bottle thats says "for diesel engines" but not always. I have run standard Mobile 1 in my tractor (which is what's in it now) with no issues (knock on wood.) The Shell Rotella T6 mentioned here is great. That will probably run just fine. It also depends on your actual climate and when you're using the tractor the most. Does the tractor get used when its -20? Is it stored outside without a block heater, or in a nice warm shop? The summers months, are you out working your tractor HARD when its 104? Take the average, run that oil.

A quick note about the owners manual.

They are a great resource for a starting point when it comes to basic vehicle maintenance. This goes for any vehicle owners manual. I will always state "to follow the advice in your owners manual and ask your dealer for clarification." You don't have a dealer, but I'd go ask him/her anyway. They might be doing a repair on your tractor in years to come. The reason I state this is because of liability. The same reason that goofy chart is in the owners manual. Its CYA. They cannot list every weight and brand of oil in the manual, but they will list the extremes. And when something fails on an owners tractor, they can point to the manual and show the wrong oil was used. Manual on one side, practical experience on the other. Don't over think it. Just change the oil at least yearly.

Hope this info helps! This forum is an amazing resource! Feel free to ask questions and post regularly. We also love photos! :)

/ Year-round oil viscosity #7  
Western NY has a similar climate, although we haven't seen -20 too often lately. I've been running T6 5w-40 in mine year-round since new. I also change mine once per year. I do not have a block heater for winter starting, but the tractor is stored in a closed barn (unheated), and I tend to not go outside to play on the tractor when it is near or below 0°. All that said, I haven't had any issues related to lubrication that I'm aware of in ~600 hours/9 years of operation.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #8  
The only oil our LS dealer uses is 10W30 full synthetic and we can hit -25 in the winter. Synthetic oil flows better in the cold and holds up better in the heat than conventional oil so they have no problems with it and they have sold a couple thousand tractors. If you want to use a different weight oil than what's recommended in the manual , that's up to you. But don't blame anyone if you have a problem. And everyone, please remember to use diesel oil that meets CJ4 or CK4 specification for any engines with emissions systems. If a container doesn't say specifically that it is for diesel engines, do NOT use it!

Last edited:
   / Year-round oil viscosity #9  
To me, the obvious choice is a synthetic 5W-30 based on those numbers.

/ Year-round oil viscosity #10  
My 4140 LS manual says 10W-30 is good for -10 to 104. That covers my needs. Do you actually use your machine at temperatures out of that range?

I change oil about every 150-200 hours.

Seems strange the oil service temperature range would be different between our machines. A call to your dealer might be helpful.

Last edited: