Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them!

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #11  
Mine is from Home Depot. They are translucent yellow. About the size of a tennis ball can. The yellow jacket enters through the bottom holes and proceeds up a plastic that is fill of holes. Holes at the top as well. Inside the cone area where the yellow jackets cannot get to is the scent. They cost about $10 or maybe a bit more which seems like a lot for what it is. I would love to find some of the attractant by a pint container instead of the tiny packets which are also pricey.

Attachments

• 662392-Yellow-Jacket-Trap.jpg
    662392-Yellow-Jacket-Trap.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 127
   / Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #12  
Looks like I blew it big time. The wife and I were sitting at the kitchen table with our insurance man making sure that our home, autos, tractor and what-not was all covered and adequate when I noticed a LARGE yellow jacket in the house. I was really surprised because I didn't ever remember seeing one so large. I had no idea it was a queen until I read this post. We opened the patio doors and let it fly away.

I think I'm guilty of abiding a future nest of 10,000 workers. I'm headed to Home Depot tomorrow to get some traps and make up for my mistake.......

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #13  
From reading this thread I went ahead and put out three yellow jacket traps today. Haven’t caught any yet.

I’ve been having an increasing problem with them each year. Last summer I got stung a number of times when I disturbed a hive that was under a compost pile that I picked up with the FEL.

I hope this early intervention approach works, worth a try.

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #14  
Saw my first one up here in WA about a month ago and put out my traps then. Haven't caught any that I know of but haven't really checked.

Harry K

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them!
I use traps by Sterling International, but the biggest name on the label is "Rescue" in bright yellow lettering and are the ones described by _RaT_ . Tried other brands several years ago and these were the only ones that really worked. You can get them at Home Depot & probably your local hardware store. Unfortunately, retailers often wait until July to put them out because that's when they sell well. Sometimes they don't order the pheromone until summer.

BTW, the pheromone needs to be refreshed every 3-4 weeks.

hitekcountry, I suspect you are too late to catch the queens since spring starts earlier in California. They are probably underground pumping out workers.

If you have questions, on yellow jackets, call Sterling at 800-666--6766. The lady who answered the phone when I called was very informative.

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #16  
The Rescue traps are currently in stock at least in our part of town anyway. Made the trip to Home Depot today and picked up a pair including some extra pheromone to refresh the traps some weeks down the road. We'll see if we can catch any of those queens while the time is right to do so.

Nothing worse than yellow-jackets when you are trying to picnic outside.

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #17  
Thanks much for the tip!!! I may be too late but will load mine tonight. FYI, I've found good prices on traps and attractant at Wally World.

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #18  
I trapped a second queen yesterday.
Now where in the world do you have to go to find a Wally World (Walmart?) if you live in Squaw Valley? Reno? Roseville? Don't tell me they have one in Truckee now! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #19  
Cool, sure hope I didn't wait too long ... it got to 98 last week but cooler now.
Umm, I live in the "original" Squaw Valley ... east Fresno County foothills ... Walmarts @ 40 miles distant in Fresno or Visalia.

/ Yellow jackets: now is the time to prevent them! #20  
After reading this thread Fri, I picked up a trap at Wallyworld during my weekly visit on Sat and hung the trap Sat eve, during a rain shower. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Caught the first queen before noon on Sunday, even though the temp never got above about 60 and we had off and on showers. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Caught a second queen Monday am; the weather was no better. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hope to catch even more when it warms up this week! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a nest in the ground a couple years ago, right next to the house. I didn't want to deal with it, so I called a couple exterminators. They wanted about $100 to kill them. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I also called one of those places that catch them to make antigen for allergy treatment. He wouldn't come to my area (about 40 mi away) for about two months. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Needless to say, a cool night, couple cans of foaming spray and a good spade (and a little intestinal fortitude) got the job done. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bees don't really bother me that much, but because of where and how they tend to nest and their aggressiveness, yellowjackets are a real problem.

This year, thanks to TBN, I hope I won't have to deal with them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif