Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics!

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I bought a ten fuse weather protected fuse box to upgrade thhe stock crappola on my BX and didn't bother to disconnect the battery when I finally decided to upgrade. Course one of the wires from the emergency flashers came in contact with the battery anchor bar and sparked until it kind of stuck to it. When I finished and turned the key, kind of as I suspected, Nothing:eek: I thought I fried the electrics, until I remebered the 30A slow blow. You should've seen the smile on my face when I replaced it!:)

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #2  
BX2230_Lockport said:
... I thought I fried the electrics, until I remebered the 30A slow blow. You should've seen the smile on my face when I replaced it ...

That's great to hear!
It's good to have some built-in safeguards.

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #3  
I think that is considered arc welding...:eek:

Wow, you're a crazy man. I never work on anything electric on any of my vehicles anymore unless the battery has been disconnected. The risk just isn't worth it. And yes, this is experience speaking here. :rolleyes:

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #4  
When working on the tractor, always remove the positive cable first, and then the negative for safety sake. Now that we have that issue resolved, how about some more information and pictures of the new and improved fuse block???????? :D

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #5  
I always thought you should remove the neg first(ground) so if you hit frame etal except pos post nothing would happen then after work pos first then neg???

Am I wrong??

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #6  
Stargazer said:
I always thought you should remove the neg first(ground) so if you hit frame etal except pos post nothing would happen then after work pos first then neg???

Am I wrong??

You are correct on the tractor. I had one of my antique vehicles in mind where it specifically says to remove the positive terminal first, because of a special type of alternator that was used. Must be a sign of old age ....... mixing up thoughts on different type of equipment.

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #7  
Dusty said:
You are correct on the tractor. I had one of my antique vehicles in mind where it specifically says to remove the positive terminal first, because of a special type of alternator that was used. Must be a sign of old age ....... mixing up thoughts on different type of equipment.

I assume your antique is a positive ground?

/ Yikes- Thought I fried the electrics! #8  
No, it is a negative ground, but it uses a dual battery and battery switch, along with a 200 amp alternator. You know, the type of vehicle that is sometimes found in a firehouse.