YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #1  

Tom_Stewart

Tractor
Yanmar YM 2500
First, thanks in advance for your replies.

I just bought this machine at an auction and want to get it back to tip top shape. Here are my questions/problems:

1. Tractor would not start without jumping. I use one of those cheepo booster jump start deals from Tractor supply to jump it off and it jumps off with no problems...Bought a new battery and it still wouldn't start on the battery but would start with the booster...so, I think ground problem....put the ground clamp off the booster on the battery ground and it cranked right up. I did not put on the positive booster clamp...so now I know its the ground..so, made all new cables and ground a bright shiney spot on the frame and ran my ground to it and it starts right away.....I think the problem is over until I smell my generator or alternator (which is it????) burning.....so now I have a new problem...need to get the generator rebuilt....no problem..will take to Dick's auto electric in Rosenberg tomorrow...but my question is why would this happen??????? Is there a separate voltage regulator and could this have caused the alternator to fry???????????

2. I removed most all of the sheetmetal this afternoon. Getting it ready for a new coat of paint....Question is on the steering wheel. Got the cap off, and used a puller to pull the wheel...now is where I'm lost....how do I remove the rest of the collar? I need to get this collar off before I can remove the dash panel......

3. Painting the engine/transmission...overall the paint condition is fair to bad...bad only because of rust....I plan on hitting with a wire brush, then spraying some Ospho, letting it sit and then spraying with the Yanmar green paint out of a can from Hoye....Anything you would recommend to make this turn out better?????

4. None of the warning lights worked prior to my starting this rehab...Is there a good way to test them to see if they work without just replacing all of them?????

5. I cannot seem to locate either at Hoye or Yesterdays Tractors some of the bolts that I need on remounting the fenders....any suggestions other than to make my own with an allthread and nuts??? are there other better resources for parts????

6. Plastic dashboard...mine has a crack in it...would like to buy another one and cannot find it online at the two places mentioned before...any suggestions for replacement or making a new one myself? I say making a new one because I'm thinking of installing an oil pressure guage and temperature guage anyway.....Can I just go to tractor supply or a parts house and buy one or do I need some special parts or something??????

I have ordered a service manual from Hoye but its not here yet...hopefully by friday or Tuesday of next week.....

Thanks again for all your replies.

Tom

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #2  
Tom; sounds like you bought a pile of trouble. If a hammer and nails could fix it,I could help. Not muck on mechanicing.

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #3  
Hi Tom; Please forgive my first post, I just wanted to see if it would post. I have a yanmar 2500 and am very pleased with it. I think you will enjoy it very much. If I'm not mistaken, dont you plan to put a front end loader on it?Unless yours has more power than mine I think you will be disappointed. You will surely want to fill the tires, otherwise you aren't going to get much traction. Hopefully you will be able to reply back saying I was totally wrong. GOOD LUCK

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please
It's not in perfect shape, I admit....but I enjoy doing rehabs like this. Minor electrical issue, some paint and I'm good to go....I'm trying to get it back to TIP TOP shape.

Yes, I'm gonna put a loader, just to use as another hand for me and to spread some mulch and donkey manure....I don't need this for hard work...

TS

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #5  
gary pate said:
...If I'm not mistaken, dont you plan to put a front end loader on it?Unless yours has more power than mine I think you will be disappointed. ...

Interesting statement! What is it about the loader operation that you find disappointing? I (and lot's of others) have FELs on tractors smaller than the 2500 and are pleased with them. 4wd vs 2wd maybe?

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #6  
Tom_Veatch said:
Interesting statement! What is it about the loader operation that you find disappointing? .........QUOTE]

I was wondering the exact same thing.

I have, and had 2WD and 4WD small tractors with FEL's on both, and although I do prefer them on 4WD I'd much rather have them on a 2WD then have none at all.

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #7  
Tom,

I have a YM2500 also. It does everything I need it to do. I have a small issue with my hydraulics leaking down after the engine is shut off, but other than that, it is a fine running, good looking tractor. I do not have an FEL, but haven't really needed one either, up until now. I have a couple dirt piles to move. I work for an equipment rental company, so getting any piece of heavy equipment isn't a problem for me. I am fortunate for that.

As for your problems, the only 'problem' I see with your tractor is the alternator/generator. The rest is all cosmetic 'issues'.

Travis

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #8  
The fact that it 2wd is the only issue. I have seen several smaller tractor with front end loaders. I guess its just takes more trips to the pile. I agree it beats using a shovel and wheel barrow. Have either of you checked your fuel return line to see if you have any excess returning to the tank? I haven't seen any returning to my tank. I can get around 2900 rpm's topped out on my 2500. I am very pleased with my tractor and also like the smaller size for being able to get to out of the way patches.

/ YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #9  
I have a 2wd YM1802 with a frontend loader and am very satisfied with it. You have to use a little common sense with a loader, whether you have 2wd or 4wd, and avoid overloading it when possible and always keeping your load as low as possible.

I have (unwisely) overloaded my bucket many times putting 700 pounds more on my front wheels than their load rating, while trying to keep my load close to the ground and avoiding holes and rough terrain. These Yanmars are extremely tough machines that can handle lots of abuse but they are easy to tip over with a loader if you are not careful.

I just moved a 12x12 creosote beam that weighed well over 1000 pounds before I cut 5 feet off it with no problems taking it slow and easy. (see photo)

Loaders on 2wds are extremely useful and handy to have but just are not quite as safe or able to handle as much weight as on a 4wd.

Attachments

• shack.jpg
    shack.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 309
   / YM 2500 rehab..multiple questions please #10  
To add a little to Tallyho8 comments, weight transfer is big issue on these small tractors. Ive posted this before but will restate some again. Using my tractor as the example, I've weighed it and ran through the calculations and for evey lb put in the bucket, the tractor front end sees 2lbs due to the load plus weight transfer from the rear of the tractor. Additionally, static weight with nothing in the bucket and the front axle/tires are already at max load rating for the tires. Have no info on what front axle components are rated for. I picked up an est 800# once with the fel and nothing broke but even with the filled rear tires, handling was not stable.