YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond

/ YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond #1  

Heidegeist2000

Tractor
Yanmar YM1510d
Hi from a German Yanmar Owner,

I've been reading here and at the Hoye forum for a couple of years now. I own a YM1510d since 2020 and I'm very happy with this little powerful tractor. I bought the tractor from a dealer who mounted already a FEL. Back in 2021 I updated the maual steering to a power steering, after the steering box broke. From the first day the FEL was a little bit tricky eg. when lowering the boom, it droped very fast. And a few other issues I didn't like.

However, during the past weeks I updated the hydraulic to a power beyond configuration with a Brand Hydraulics Loader Valve. I drew a hydraulic plan, but unfortunatly it's in German and it will take some time to translate. Here is a short discription. From the pump the fluid enters a priority valve - the center flow goes to the power steering the second line enters the loader valve from Brand with power beyond. Power beyond connects to the old pressure line from the pump to the 3pt. The tank return from power steering and tank port from loader valve return the fluid to the transmission / hydraulic fluid filler cap unter the seat. I manufactuered an adapter that fits into the cap bore in the rear axle housing (used for filling the oil). The cap is screwed into the adapter, very similar to the adapters sold from Hoye. Unfortunately the filler cap has a small vent hole. When lowering the boom, the flow from the cylinder to the tank is very high and the returning oil spills through the small vent hole in the cap.

Has anybody a solution to solve this little problem? I could clogg the hole, but I guess there is a reason for that little hole in the cap. If I install a small check valve into that hole, the air could get into the housing, but not out.

An other solution could be a restriction valve between loader valve and boom cylinder. That would reduce the return flow and might give the fluid some time to pass the adapter.

Unfortunately the adapter bore is as wide as possible.

I know here are some experts who already installed a power beyond valve and the Hoye adapter to return to the sump.
Do you have a similar problem?

Thanks to all in advance.

/ YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond #2  
You have it plumbed correctly. Don't know whether the adapter Hoye sold has a bigger opening or not. However, since being bought out by others I don't know how to even find the adapter or even if they still sell it. Would it be possible to make something to replace the cap that might extend it a little higher and still be vented. Maybe that would help.

/ YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond
Hi Winston, I read a lot about your pb conversion of a YM2002. That was very helpful. And yes, I’m 100% sure that it’s plumbed correct. It’s only the amount of returning fluid to the sump that causes a little spill.

I just thought about adding a vented cap.

Your idea might also work. I could extend it and the extension can have only a small bore.

The Hoye adapter is pretty much the same as mine. I’ll take a picture tomorrow. The size of the bore is limited by the thread size of the housing. If you fill in the oil through that bore to fast, it will also overflow. And that’s what happens with my return to sump line.

I heard/ read about Hoye and I’m sad about it. I ordered there already when I was on vacation in the USA and took parts home. Unfortunately we don’t have any comparable dealer here in Europe. However, may be someone who uses this adapter and that cap with bore can report about his experience.

/ YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond #4  
Hi Winston, I read a lot about your pb conversion of a YM2002. That was very helpful. And yes, I’m 100% sure that it’s plumbed correct. It’s only the amount of returning fluid to the sump that causes a little spill.

I just thought about adding a vented cap.

Your idea might also work. I could extend it and the extension can have only a small bore.

The Hoye adapter is pretty much the same as mine. I’ll take a picture tomorrow. The size of the bore is limited by the thread size of the housing. If you fill in the oil through that bore to fast, it will also overflow. And that’s what happens with my return to sump line.

I heard/ read about Hoye and I’m sad about it. I ordered there already when I was on vacation in the USA and took parts home. Unfortunately we don’t have any comparable dealer here in Europe. However, may be someone who uses this adapter and that cap with bore can report about his experience.
It sounds as if you have things plumbed correctly. I would enjoy seeing your diagram, regardless of the language on the notes. There are a few folks here that speak german and wouldn't have any trouble with your diagram, with the benefit that the next time someone who speaks/reads german could read your diagram.

I don't know the Hoye fitting, but might I suggest extending the return flow through the cap farther into the tank perhaps with a bulkhead fitting / through wall connector? (I believe that is a "Durch Wandkupplung" oder "Schottkupplung"(?).) This sort of thing;
1710893851668.png

and then you add a tube or pipe that goes below the oil level.

Personally, I prefer to have the hydraulic return oil not return to the tank through the cap, but I know it isn't always possible.

You do need the vent hole in the cap. As oil is pumped out into the cylinders, the volume of oil in the tank decreases, and air should be allowed in. The reverse is also true, as oil comes back to the tank, air moves out through the hole. When the returning oil splashes into the tank, oil generally tends to spray or leak out the vent hole. That is why it is generally better to have the return oil enter the tank below the lowest typical oil level.

All the best,

Peter

/ YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond #5  
I sure do like the self contained loader on my Ford-2000. Tank, Pump and I can esaily remove the whole Damn FEL. with a mattter of a few bolts LOL.. Works great now I have everything flowing and working properly. And I leave my 3point Hyd. all Org. and working also. I had the JD. 5103 FEL and I used a Rear scoop on the YM2000 that works really well for what it is. Not long after I bought it 275.00$ new and Still have it. I have that in repairs of my Wagner loader on the ford.

/ YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond #6  
The old school way was to vent the Hyd. Reservoir. I have 2 vents on the loader frame Res.. Not in the Fluid cap but they drilled small relief holes in the frame. Were it angles on the top side at the loader valve is were they vented it. The fill cap is right there but from the looks they wanted to make sure they was High enough not to have a Pressure leak.

Attachments

• 000_0295.JPG
    000_0295.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 77

Hi there,

it took a while to take pictures because we had a lot of rain the last couple days and I didn't want to get the tractor out of the garage. I attached the hydraulic plan to this post and I'm going to post the pictures in a second from my phone.

Attachments

• hydraulic scheme.pdf
    106.4 KB · Views: 23
Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
   / YM1510d Tank return for Power Steering and FEL with Power beyond #9  
Looks good. If there was some way to put a 90 degree ell in your adapter to force the flow down it would probably eliminate fluid coming out of the vent. Or maybe a baffle in there to force the flow downward. Just talking. :D

I thought about different solutions,
1. Rerouting the sump line to the oil drin screws. But the drain holes are very small and that will cause some back pressure into the tank line. Additional I don't like a hose or a pipe to the lowest point. I might rip it off and if there is any dirt in the system, it can't settle at the lowest point.

2. Extending the Adapter. There is not much room left to extend the adapter and I think it won't have enough volume to avoid spilling from the cap, even if I add a vented hydraulic tank cap.

3. Venting through the dipstick. I think I'm going to replace the dipstick by a removable small tube or hose and if I need to use the dipstick, I can simply pull the tube out and put the dipstick in. Unfortunately I don't know if the dipstick isn't to low for venting all parts of the housing. May be someone here know more about it.

4. Last option could be easy, but I need to know the function of a part in picture 2 left to my sump return adapter. I'm talking about that round black thing with two small black hoses coming from the rear axle housing? I think that might be for venting the housing. If I cut one of the small hoses put a T in it and connect it with the vent from the cap. The spilled oil can return to the housing and the black thing has enough volume to keep the spilled oil for a while.

Any other ideas?