YM2000 Brake Help...Again

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
Ok so about a year ago some of you might remember me getting the brake cam unstuck. Well that was a success and I put it all back together and sometime in the first few uses something happened and I had no brake on that side. SO I took it all back apart this spring and checked it , all looked fine. I put it all back togeather and I had brake again. I adjusted the petal so that they were even and braking . Well this weekend was the first use of the tractor since that fix (well extended use) . After a few hours I noticed that brake petal was going a good bit further down to get the stopping power. I stopped and tried to adjust the brake more but its getting close to the end of the adjustment.

I remember about adjusting the brake upper mount to a different position. I think this is what I have to do just don't remember if mine moved? I haven't looked in my 240 shop manual yet, I need to try and find in tonight, to see if they list the procedure.

Help me out here guys. I am pretty sure I have heard California reference it before?

I attached a picture of the brake assembly (from the stuck cam job)for help in referencing the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20150606_094226_533.jpg
    IMG_20150606_094226_533.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 479
   / YM2000 Brake Help...Again #2  
Not sure what you are asking. What do you mean by "brake upper mount"? The problem should be obvious with inspection.

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again
There is a way to move that mount isn't there to push the shoes farther out so less adjustment is needed on the adjusting rod. I am basically almost out of adjustment. So why was it tight for a while and then loose?

Its like either the cam or the top lobe can be pivoted 90 degrees to push the shoes outward so that I can back off the adjusting rod some so that I can get a petal near the top of the travel. I need to pull it back apart and look at it again.

Norm have you been in the brakes before?

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #4  
there is a cam like where those screws are that is what you need to rotate to push the shoes out..I had my shoes re linned a few yrs ago.. You need to use my glass bead blasting machine on rust.. see why it's rusting like that ,, water getting in ,etc

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #5  
BRAKES: Yanmar Tractor Parts

No, but I know you can swap the #9 cam and the anchor pin, #10, side to side as well as reversing shoes end for end to get all new working surfaces. No clue why it is changing, as you say.

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #6  
No idea why it's losing adjustment.

In 2003 when I bought the YM240 it had a few 'deferred maintenance' (neglect) issues.

I had to open up the left brake and free up the shaft that goes through the cover. I noticed the anchor pin is made asymmetrical so turning it 90 degrees would move the shoes out if they are worn. I don't remember if I did that, I think not. I did swap the leading/trailing shoes to average out the wear. I learned to do that on a '49 Chevrolet.

And that's all I know. Sorry I don't have an answer for this.

It was rusted like that from vietnam. That was last year when I went in to get the cam unstuck. I guess they got it in water back in asia. It had a newer gasket I think on it from VN refurb...or it could of been laying around like that in a yard before assembly. Since that pic there is no new rust. Neither time when I went in was there moisture present or oil in there. I just think it's from previous life/neglect.

I will look at shoes and move them around, back/front or reverse them and look at that cam. It may need to be rotated?

Talked to Aaron From Hoye, I sent pictures. The problem was that the drum was so rusted that it chewed the shoes up. I pulled it off took a wire wheel to it and there was pitting that Aaron said he would like to see smoothed a bit. Called on a retired coworker and her husband that have all kinds of machine shop stuff and see if they could turn it on the lathe. He said he couldn't get a grip to turn it no matter how he tried and he though about turning a groove in the outer surface to grap but said all that and turning wouldn't be worth his time. So he took a flap disk and grinder to it and got it way better. Pits are still there but not near as noticeable and hardly felt. He restores tractors and is big time into classic JD and Cat, he is a retired Cat mechainic with 47 years. We both feel its good now to put back in.

So anyway I still have no adjustment left on the shoes yet there just over the replacement spec but still cant adjust up without cutting the rod, which I don't think I will do. I could look for a longer threaded coupler I guess?

I also do not see a way to turn the mounting studs or the cam lever to get more wear out of them (already flipped the shoes themselves and I cant get any better grip) The top pin that the shoes rest on is not designed to be turned how I see it. The shaft has flat sides on the opposing sides if you turn it 90 degrees but the surface they rest on is not near as large as the way its designed to be inserted. that and mine is stuck and I will have to get it back in a vice and possibly heat and beat to get it out.

Any suggestions, I measured my drum and its right in the middle of the spec in diameter so its not worn out or turned down to far.

Just trying to think of a way to cheat this as I am cheap but heck to have my tractor working for $80 in brakes is not bad, considering I will be good for $20 years as I am now having to do the seal and collar as seen in my other post.

I need to get my calipers out tonight anc check the lineings again and get an average. I am right above the replace spec from what I saw but I didn't think I was below it. But I guess if I shortened the rods I could adjust them back up so technically they still would be good.

/ YM2000 Brake Help...Again #10  
You still need to swap the cam and pin side-to-side.