Ym2020 head gasket for 3T82B engine. Will a 3T84 gasket work. Or an engine swap?

/ Ym2020 head gasket for 3T82B engine. Will a 3T84 gasket work. Or an engine swap? #1  

bmaverick

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2610 ■YANMAR GURU■ EXTRAORDINAIRE
An owner of a YM2020 is in great need for a 3T82B head gasket p/n 129351-01330. The supply chain in the EU has no inventory. I'm reaching out here as he need to have his machine ready for Spring planting.

Is there information of a 3T84 gasket working on a 3T82? I've notice a 3T75 gasket has worked on a 3T72 engine in the past. So is the similar? 3T84 gasket are very plentiful.

The other question is, his 3T82 engine may need to be overhauled due to high working hours. Is it possible to swap in a 3T84 or a 3TN82 or 3TNB82? He has access to engines from a surplus center an hour away.

/ Ym2020 head gasket for 3T82B engine. Will a 3T84 gasket work. Or an engine swap?
I like the search results, however, in his country being in the eastern EU, he can't get reliable parts from the USA nor the UK. People either steal them in route or he has to pay high prices for the import since he is not a broker.

I did look at the YM2020 Parts Manual. There is no p/n for the bell housing. I find it weird. Almost as if there is a secret to what other engines could mount onto it. The 3T82B-U engine is a rare and odd one. He would like to see if a 3T84H would mate up instead. The 3T84H parts are easily available in his region.

/ Ym2020 head gasket for 3T82B engine. Will a 3T84 gasket work. Or an engine swap? #4  
I don't know if this will help the guy but I have made more than one head gasket out of copper sheet. All the head gaskets I have made this way were for gasoline engines though. I don't know if copper would hold up to diesel engine compression. But if it would, and all the engine needs is a head gasket, it would certainly be easier and cheaper to machine a copper head gasket than to buy a complete engine and swap it. Any competent machinist could make the gasket if they have one to copy. Even without a head gasket the head itself can be used to make the pattern. The gasket thickness would still need to be known, and once again you need a competent machinist. I'm 67 and I made the first copper head gasket for a Fiat 850 spider engine when I was 20 years old, when I had been working in my first machine shop job for less than 1 year. I retired about 2 years ago, but still have my shop, and would make it if the guy was local. And if it would work.
Eric