YM240 Loose Gear Shifter

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter #1  

Maverick22

Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4x4, IH 706, Yanmar YM240
Just finished using the tractor and the gear shifter on my YM240 is loose, it spins all the way around so you kind of have to guess which gear it's in. I'm guessing there's just a nut holding the shifter onto the fork? I'm afraid to use it so nothing falls in the transmission and breaks something but how does it come off? I took out the 4 10mm bolts on that very top plate where the shifter is but it doesn't want to come off, is there a gasket or sealant or something holding it? Am I even on the right track?

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter #2  
There's a rollpin that keeps the shift lever from revolving. When mine broke I found a US-spec rollpin in there that wasn't as large diameter as what should have been there. It was a nuisance to find the right one.

I don't remember how much I had to dismantle but it wasn't much, I think you can get to it without pulling the top of the transmission off. The rollpin goes through the round ball that lets the lever pivot.

Hoye transmission parts diagram. You want item #4.

Hoye rollpin listing. Note there is an inner and outer rollpin.

RP-50.jpg

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter #4  
Kinda off topic but I'd like to share this photo I took today. Maybe it will help someone:

Thinking about determining the length and diameter of the broken rollpin - I bought several cheap 6" vernier calipers for identifying things like that. These are most useful for going to fetch the right socket on the first try. 6" ones on Ebay are $1, 3" are even cheaper and would be sufficient most of the time. Much handier than a tape measure! I get out the carefully stored .001" digital caliper for precise measurement but that's rare.

Here's today's example identifying a simple object. This plumbing ring is smaller OD than what is used over the last 50 years. Home Depot plumbing guy said they never had them. So I need the measurement to go order one.

View attachment 601180

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter #5  
Good idea to have some cheaper ones, I broke my Starrett caliper a few years ago and now have the dial Harbor Freight at about $20. I see Harbor freight has some similar to your picture for $2.99. I will have to invest in some of those.

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter #6  
I have the digital HF one . I use it mostly during reloading ammo. But it comes out in mechanicing as well. Measuring a shaft, a hole, length on something etc.

I also have or had a cheap plastic pair. Like you said there perfect when an exact measurement is not critical but you really want to know it that thing is 2.5" or 2 3/8" or 2.75"

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter
There's a rollpin that keeps the shift lever from revolving. When mine broke I found a US-spec rollpin in there that wasn't as large diameter as what should have been there. It was a nuisance to find the right one.

I don't remember how much I had to dismantle but it wasn't much, I think you can get to it without pulling the top of the transmission off. The rollpin goes through the round ball that lets the lever pivot.

Hoye transmission parts diagram. You want item #4.

Hoye rollpin listing. Note there is an inner and outer rollpin.

RP-50.jpg

Perfect - thank you very much! Looks like just pop the boot off and there's a c-clip holding it all on. Guess I should have checked Hoye first!

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter #9  
That circlip looks like it holds the ball down in the cup
So it can't pull out.

/ YM240 Loose Gear Shifter
I'm not sure if the clip held it too far down or not, I think it could have been done w/ the clip in but it was pretty easy w/ it out as I could pull it up higher. Clip was kind of a pain to remove but not horrible. Anyway, here's a few pictures in case anyone else has this problem - it's about the easiest fix I've made and I'm far from being especially handy. The pin I found is a 3/16" x 1 1/2", $0.35 at the hardware store. As you can see the original may have been a touch longer but it's hard to tell exactly, it was the same diameter anyway. It could probably be 1/8 - 1/4" longer and not hurt anything though.

So when I popped the boot off it was quite obvious it was the pin, had to maneuver the ball to drive the 3rd piece out. Replacing it was about 30sec. Just make sure the ends are in the notches so it can't turn - that's why it could be a touch longer, as you can see there's still room in the slot on each side.
View attachment 601491View attachment 601492View attachment 601493View attachment 601494