YM276D located and in garage

/ YM276D located and in garage #1  

richriddle

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 with LA853 Loader, Yanmar YM276D with YFL1000 Loader, Yanmar YM276D, Yanmar YM147D, Case 1845C
You folks provided a lot of information and suggestions for slightly larger Yanmar tractors. After all the information, I decided to stay with the American models and found a YM276D that can sit in the garage for a while. It's been well used and seems to have a lot of outdoor time based on the faded paint but it runs great. Terrible pictures are better than nothing.

YM276D Front.jpg YM276D Side.JPG

/ YM276D located and in garage #2  
Nice looking ride. Interesting turfs rear, ags front.

/ YM276D located and in garage #3  
You folks provided a lot of information and suggestions for slightly larger Yanmar tractors. After all the information, I decided to stay with the American models and found a YM276D that can sit in the garage for a while. It's been well used and seems to have a lot of outdoor time based on the faded paint but it runs great. ]

Nice tractor. Do you have any particular questions? I've a lot of literature from "back in the day". When the oriental - mostly Japanese - tractors started coming into the US, Yanmar was by far the technical leader. Those old models still represent some of the best engineering.

Those tires are interesting. Looks like the OEM rears and some sort of replacement fronts. You should make every effort to keep the Front to Rear
rolling circumference ratio (tires) within strict limits compared with the front and rear axle ratios. Keeping the ratios right will really reduce the wear on the 4WD.

At one time I wrote a lot on this - and other Yanmar subjects - mostly for the Yanmartractorownersgroup@yahoo.com.
luck,
rScotty

/ YM276D located and in garage
Both of the tires are set up on the turf sized wheels/rims. The seller indicated the front tires are "industrial" and the rears are turf. I just purchased ag wheels/rims for the YM147 and love them. I might look up a set of new tires for this tractor and prefer the ag type.

Upon further review those "industrial tires" are skid steer tires.

/ YM276D located and in garage #6  
If you don't have it and are interested pm me with your email address and I will send you something showing original tire and wheel size choices.

/ YM276D located and in garage
Here are some pictures that better illustrate the condition and the tires on the tractor at this time.

Front Tire.JPG
This the front tire.
Back Tire.JPG
That is the back tire.

Here are general pictures.

Front.JPG Side.jpg Back.JPG Rear.JPG Rhino.JPG

As you can see, it has a Rhino gear-driven tiller. Some think it's a superior style compared to the older Yanmar chain models.

/ YM276D located and in garage #8  
Both of the tires are set up on the turf sized wheels/rims. The seller indicated the front tires are "industrial" and the rears are turf. I just purchased ag wheels/rims for the YM147 and love them. I might look up a set of new tires for this tractor and prefer the ag type.

Upon further review those "industrial tires" are skid steer tires.

So I guess you know that Turf and Ag tires require different rims. Almost all of the original Yanmars were sold with the Ag rims an tires - which are more available and a lot less expensive than the turfs. The big advantage to turfs - other than low psi to the ground - lies in their width and stability. Especially noticible with a loader.
If you have room to store them, consider keeping the turfs. You can always sell a set of turfs on rims because they are rare & hard to find used. Tractor tire shops will try to talk you out of the old ones because new turf rims are pretty expensive and new rear turf tires in any condition are ridiculously expensive.
Turf tires for the front of that tractor are much easier on the pocket book. Not hard to find, and generally less expensive than skid steer tires.
You can look up the original tires - either turf or ags - and by comparing manufacturers specs on "rolling circumference" come up with a pretty good idea if the skid steer tires are something you want to keep.

I'll look around and see what kind of old YM276 literature I have, if any.
rScotty

/ YM276D located and in garage #9  
I don't think it hs been emphasized enough yet - you have to get the front/rear ratio of rolling circumference right or you will put extreme stress on the driveline. With those dissimilar tires, its not clear that your prior owner got this right.

There's a photo here showing the difference in height (difference in circumference would be 3x that) I found comparing what should have been on my little Yanmar, and what was actually mounted when I bought it. You could see the front end clawing its way forward trying to exceed the distance travelled compared to the rear when it was in 4x4. After buying the correct tires I never see this 'clawing' behavior.

You can mark the tires and experiment driving one side on wax paper or something to see if the front is trying to lead or drag relative to the rear.

/ YM276D located and in garage #10  
As you can see, it has a Rhino gear-driven tiller. Some think it's a superior style compared to the older Yanmar chain models.
That tiller may well be preferable in our typical application here. It should till ordinary ground to small clods with air space in between which is better for growing, while the (Japanese import) Yanmar tillers were designed for muck in rice paddies. I think their action is more oriented toward slicing to break up root clumps. They definitely will till ordinary soil to a fine flour, which I think makes a seedbed more like adobe compared to what this tillers with its wide blades will do.

In terms of durability - Yanmar is probably at least equal.

Note I'm making the comparison to the rice paddy tillers that came over attached to many gray-market Yanmars, not to the US-made tillers sold by US-Yanmar dealers back in the day.