YM336D fuel consumption

/ YM336D fuel consumption #11  
Just use the one for a YM240. ;)

View attachment 322870
There's a LOT of valuable information on that page.

*Engine temperature only around 170 in the sort of use that is typical for us.

*Temperature only 201~210 at continuous maximum HP output. I doubt anyone here is powering a ditch pump or similar continuous wide-open throttle load, so we shouldn't ever see over 200 degrees with a cooling system that is up to spec.

*Tractor weight measured before ballast 1950 lbs. This is a little more than we have seen in other charts for YM2000/YM240.

*And as noted, it weighed 3305 lbs after prepped by dealer for this test - far beyond Owner Manual specs. So we would need similar ballast to make it pull like an 8N or similar 3000+ lb tractor.

* Maximum pulling power is at 2 mph, but only half of that at the 5 mph that I've read is optimal for production farming - discing etc - where you want to cover a lot of ground before dark.

* Lots more.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #12  
There's a LOT of valuable information on that page.

*Engine temperature only around 170 in the sort of use that is typical for us.

*Temperature only 201~210 at continuous maximum HP output. I doubt anyone here is powering a ditch pump or similar continuous wide-open throttle load, so we shouldn't ever see over 200 degrees with a cooling system that is up to spec.

As you noted, 210 degrees or so is the maximum temperature we should ever see; the tractor they tested was at full power, maximum RPM, and completely stationary for 2 hours, so no additional airflow from forward speed was received. There aren't really any more difficult conditions possible. If your Yanmar overheats, there is something WRONG, and it needs to be immediately addressed. The other Yanmar tractors for which test data are available all run cooler than the YM240. Similar size and power Kubota machines tended to run a little warmer, up to 225 degrees or so.

Properly maintaining the cooling system and changing the lubricants should, with clean fuel, allow these little tractors to run, for all intents and purposes, forever.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #13  
One asked what Yanmar model I have. I have a 1980s model 336d, diesel front wheel assist or MFWD. Generally in hard use I use about 1 gallon per hour. That has not varied much in over 20 years of use. I have a 5 foot rotary bush hog mower for cutting.

/ YM336D fuel consumption
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sounds like some good discussion too.

Over the weekend I would estimate around a gallon per hour with a mix of hogging with a 5' and tilling with a 6'. It's too early to have a really good sense for fuel consumption for me. My testing was screwed up when I had a clogged fuel pickup stop the machine. As part of the troubleshooting process I refilled the tank.

One of the first things I did when I got the tractor was to run some Diesel Purge in it, mixed pretty strong. I changed filters, but now it looks like there is some snotty looking sludge in the tank that I'll have to clean out.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #15  
These sip fuel like no other machine I ever used. I am going to say 1g per hr max I ever used? I have ran all day easily many times on less than 1/2 tank. I rarely ever worry about fuel if I can see it in the tank looking in I usually feel like I can do whatever job is at hand. I have never ran out either I have a 300g overhead farm tank here at the shop so no reason I would but still if she was a fuel hog chances are good I would have by now.

Sounds like algae in your tank or from where you got fuel last if it wasn't filtered.

/ YM336D fuel consumption
These sip fuel like no other machine I ever used. I am going to say 1g per hr max I ever used? I have ran all day easily many times on less than 1/2 tank. I rarely ever worry about fuel if I can see it in the tank looking in I usually feel like I can do whatever job is at hand. I have never ran out either I have a 300g overhead farm tank here at the shop so no reason I would but still if she was a fuel hog chances are good I would have by now.

Sounds like algae in your tank or from where you got fuel last if it wasn't filtered.

No idea what it is in the tank. I get my fuel from Chevron, but the pump says "Not a Chevron Product". It's black and about the consistency of really funky snot. I know that there is at least a little water in the tank from the condensation that forms on the inside of the fuel gauge.

It's just one more fun thing that I get to do with my new tractor before I can consider it reliable. Add to that brakes, new front tires, removing calcium from rear tires, replacing a rear tube, replacing the hydraulic divider valve, and removing ghetto hydraulics. Oh, and the loader is tweaked. I need to figure out how to straighten that.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #17  
Doubtful the algae came from a station I was more thinking a farm tank w/o a filter somewhere fuel has sat a long time as far as getting it in it could well be from your tractors tank as easily.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #18  
I get a long day's work out of a five gallon jug of diesel with my YM336D. I know it's not very precise, but it works for me.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #19  
There so many varibles in fuel consupption.

Just saying a ym2000 useing a 4ft bushhog does not even say much. Did you last bushhog 4 weeks ago or 8 weeks ago? Was there lots of rain in that period? Are you bushhoging fescue thats chest high or random grasses that are shin high, or is it Bermuda, that stuff is so thick and tough that it takes more power.
These variables make the difference between putting around at 1900rpm or pushing the 2400 level to make full power.

/ YM336D fuel consumption #20  
Absolutely.Higher the RPM's more fuel useage. Have to be honest. I forgot that my last few months of fuel usage I also put quite a few hrs. with the NTM, BH. in the 5$ a month:D definatly not waist high brush though. Compared to my old Garden tractors/Lawn Mower It's Ridiculously Great on fuel. There been no comparison in fuel and Wear& Tear.