Oil & Fuel YMMV

/ YMMV #1  

jlgurr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705, John Deere STX46
So the other day I came across this acronym again and googled it. Would have never guessed it meant Your Mileage May Vary. Led me to wonder if any other tractor or equipment owners are as odd as me in tracking their fuel consumption. OK, it's not so odd for a highway vehicle (miles per gallon) but now I have a spreadsheet that calculates my hours per gallon on the Massey. Haven't done any heavy work like tilling yet, but over the past 30 hours I've averaged 3.1 hours per gallon. Three cylinder Diesel, 1.1 liter.

What do you get, if you track it?

/ YMMV #2  
I have seen two estimates of estimated diesel fuel consumption under "average" (year-round) conditions: 0.044 and 0.048 gallons/hour/PTO HP.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson GC1705 tractor information says you have 18.7 PTO HP, so this works out to a range of estimated "average" fuel consumption of 0.82 to 0.90 gallons/hour.

I expect that your fuel consumption/hour is going to increase when you start heavier work.

Steve

/ YMMV #3  
I can tell you this, they suck a lot more fuel under heavy load than just puttering around. But that is about all I can "document"

Diesel tractors are still a "bargain" considering what I can do in an hour with one, vs the cost to fuel it for that hour.

/ YMMV
Haven't had an opportunity to use the MMM that came with it but we are actively searching for a 48" tiller. Anxious to put this baby to work and show my wife why it was a "good thing to buy" :)

/ YMMV #5  
My tractor (CT235) is used mostly for lighter duty work (mowing, grading, moving mulch/rock in the FEL). I consistently get 1.5 hours/gallon of diesel.

MoKelly