You already know this, but….

/ You already know this, but…. #41  
I pray that my stable will last til they throw dirt in my face. All the new autos are so expensive with just standard equipment. The EPA is doing everything to kill the internal combustion engine. Auto makers are doing some extraordinary things to meet the latest standards. Each fractional mph increase comes from ever increasingly complicated engineering. Very expensive and delicate engineering. Tiny engines with turbos, big horsepower, much higher rates of wear. Many start burning oil before they are broken in. On some You have disassemble your air boxes, electrical circuits and vacuum hoses just to gain access to the oil filter. All these crazy designs not only run up the sticker price but increases the cost of regular maintenance exponentially. A major failure is financially crippling.
GM boasts that it will be 100% electric by 2030 but just this week ended production of the Volt because they can’t get batteries for the thousands under recall for Battery failure.

/ You already know this, but…. #42  
Friend bought a new Colorado. Info screen kept going blank and rebooting. Took it for repair 3 times, then took it back and they sold him a Silverado. Way too much money for a truck that has so many bells and whistles he will never use them all. I have learned from him. I will keep my 98 Ranger w/134,000 on it and rebuild/replace any major component if they go bad.

/ You already know this, but…. #43  
Batteries on fire on cargo ship complicate strategy to fight...

I hope we are not exchanging one set of problems for another.

/ You already know this, but…. #44  
How do you handle inspection and smog checks?

My 85 Chevrolet Service Van took a lot of time for me to outfit but I sweat out each emission test and several times through the years it has not passed by the smallest of margins.

I use it for business so I swap out the CAT and no problem on retest...
What is an inspection or smog check? ;)

Seriously, I know what they are, but in my state we used to have so called "safety inspections" which were little more than a scam. The citizens rose up and got that baloney tossed to the curb. Lived in a state once that required emissions testing. Moved away soon after and have never looked back....

/ You already know this, but…. #45  
Such states exist?

Just about all California requires ongoing emissions inspection year model 1976 and newer and many are directed to special test sites because the year/model fit gross polluter profile.

I'm not referencing cars that have been modified...

Seeing a 25 year old smog tech look in amazement opening the hood and seeing dual carbs or telling me he couldn't test my all original VW Thing because it is a Kit car makes me wonder just who is in charge.

/ You already know this, but…. #46  
I had been driving the same 2000 F250 V10 for 19 years. It wasn't very efficient and has minor scars. Minor scars are OK cause I don't worry about tree branches, etc. But really low mileage and extremely well maintained. Factory sized but aggressive tires. In fact I had just finished the ball joints, brakes, shocks, fluids, etc. That rig was as tight as a new pickup.

Then I had a non-start event. The DW had already been on my butt about a new pickup and she was pissed I got stranded. But the 2000 started fine after 15 minutes. Go figure. So I buckled and factory ordered a 2021 F350 online. I didn't want or need the F350 but that was the only way I could get the smaller V8 and the 10speed together. With the factory order I could get it the way I wanted without the dealer crap/upgrades. Drive train as above. Manual roll up windows. AM/FM but with bluetooth. Locking rear. Cell access but we don't have any (that's another story).

Over all I am really happy with the new rig. But the 'ol 2000 is now disabled cause it wasn't being used and got rat chewed.

Anyway, lesson one: F*** the dealer. The better deal was on line if you can wait.
Lesson two: if the old rig is working like new then enjoy the heck out of it.

/ You already know this, but…. #47  
After reading these post on how expensive new cars and pickups are, I have come to the conclusion at my age (82) years young that I will just keep my 1998 long wheel base crew cab 3500 SWR pickup with just 42,000 original miles until I no longer need a pickup.
Found a couple of pics of my 98 chev.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
   / You already know this, but…. #48  
Such states exist?

Just about all California requires ongoing emissions inspection year model 1976 and newer and many are directed to special test sites because the year/model fit gross polluter profile.

I'm not referencing cars that have been modified...

Seeing a 25 year old smog tech look in amazement opening the hood and seeing dual carbs or telling me he couldn't test my all original VW Thing because it is a Kit car makes me wonder just who is in charge.
I had a kid once look in my car and couldn't believe I was driving a stick (Honda Fit). How things have changed.

/ You already know this, but…. #49  
Travlitt, you are so far ahead of the 'game' its almost funny. Oh, and then there is the pickup (smile). I wish you many more healthy years and good stuff from your rig.

/ You already know this, but…. #50  
Old car prices are up because of demand...

My former boss who I stopped by to see yesterday told me he sold his 1967 Ford and got a 2020 convertible Corvette in trade plus cash...

He's owned this car over 50 years and now in his mid eighties liquidating one car at a time... mostly all Fords.

I always thought there was a very slim chance it might come my way. way... but with the prices of old cars it's pie in the sky...

Attachments

• ratio3x2_900.jpg
    ratio3x2_900.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited: