You Can Never be Too Careful

/ You Can Never be Too Careful #1  

3 Horse Ranch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH B50H Cab, Ford 1715, Poulan Pro 46
Especially in dry grassy areas. From what I have been able to find out unofficially; A property owner was working with an angle grinder outdoors in the hills just a little north of me. He caught the grass on fire and I gather, tried for a few moments to put it out himself. The winds were out of the south 10 to 20 mph. The official alarm was sounded at 2:03 last Saturday afternoon. By 8:00 p.m.the fire had reached 2500 acres. By Sunday the fire crossed into Canada. As of Friday 8-4-23, it has burned about 17,000 acres in the US and about 8,000 acres in Canada and forced some evacuations in Oroville WA and Osoyoos BC which have since been rescinded. To my knowledge no homes were damaged on the US side but a few sheds and remote buildings were burned.
12-45PM before fire.jpg

This was taken at about 1:00 PM Saturday 7-29. I flew a drone out to check on the horses and got this still from the footage.
7-30 that evening.JPG

Taken at approximately 8:00 pm the same day. That isn't a cloud on the horizon. A DC-10 had flown over the house and headed for the fire a few minutes earlier and I came out hoping to capture him on another flight, but no joy.
EagleBluff.jpg

Taken Sunday evening from Osoyoos BC. from a news article.

The fire was man caused, apparently by carelessness and the "It can't happen to me" syndrome.
The fire is 60% contained on the US side and the Canadians seem to have a handle on their side, but some strong winds could change everything.
It's a safe bet that the land owner doesn't have the funds to pay for damages or firefighting costs, so now he is financially ruined. All it takes us one careless act and one's life dreams can go up in smoke.

/ You Can Never be Too Careful #2  
Yikes!!! You must be thankful that you are upwind. Not only did he ruin his own life, he also put many others in turmoil.

/ You Can Never be Too Careful #3  
Boy! I'm familiar with this fire and am really glad to be up-wind. The smoke is causing all sorts of problems for those with breathing problems.

/ You Can Never be Too Careful #4  
Local fire here was likely caused by squaters who had repeatedly been kicked out. Started at there camp site/abandoned house.
Relatives lost 2500 acres of wheat and another 2000 acres of grazing ground. Several ranchers are in financial hardship because of this. 94 square miles burned up.

/ You Can Never be Too Careful #5  
Especially in dry grassy areas. From what I have been able to find out unofficially; A property owner was working with an angle grinder outdoors in the hills just a little north of me. He caught the grass on fire and I gather, tried for a few moments to put it out himself. The winds were out of the south 10 to 20 mph. The official alarm was sounded at 2:03 last Saturday afternoon. By 8:00 p.m.the fire had reached 2500 acres. By Sunday the fire crossed into Canada. As of Friday 8-4-23, it has burned about 17,000 acres in the US and about 8,000 acres in Canada and forced some evacuations in Oroville WA and Osoyoos BC which have since been rescinded. To my knowledge no homes were damaged on the US side but a few sheds and remote buildings were burned.
View attachment 814451
This was taken at about 1:00 PM Saturday 7-29. I flew a drone out to check on the horses and got this still from the footage.
View attachment 814452
Taken at approximately 8:00 pm the same day. That isn't a cloud on the horizon. A DC-10 had flown over the house and headed for the fire a few minutes earlier and I came out hoping to capture him on another flight, but no joy.
View attachment 814453
Taken Sunday evening from Osoyoos BC. from a news article.

The fire was man caused, apparently by carelessness and the "It can't happen to me" syndrome.
The fire is 60% contained on the US side and the Canadians seem to have a handle on their side, but some strong winds could change everything.
It's a safe bet that the land owner doesn't have the funds to pay for damages or firefighting costs, so now he is financially ruined. All it takes us one careless act and one's life dreams can go up in smoke.
I am very sorry to see this time and time again. People thinking they are immune to being a cause of something like this.

/ You Can Never be Too Careful #6  
Had a rash of fires lately within 1000 feet of work and all open “Cook” fires from transients.

Thankfully the two closest only able to lick the rear zero lot line hospital walls.

/ You Can Never be Too Careful
Yikes!!! You must be thankful that you are upwind. Not only did he ruin his own life, he also put many others in turmoil.
I was initially, but the winds have shifted several times during the week and the entire valley is now smokey. At my age with a history of breathing problems, I am an indoors cat for the duration.