Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #1,631  
it senses both legs. it will start up if there is a drop in either, or if there is a combined utility voltage drop below 65% of normal for 5 seconds. XTOL3843.JPG here are 2 switches on one generator. the upper 2 wires off of the small fuses are the current sensing legs. in this case only one of the switches controls the generator. but since both switches are on the same 400 amp service, both legs are covered.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run
#1,632  
g - Thanks for the 411.

Hadn't thought about that before.... An auto-xfer system like we're discussing could limit or prevent a meter fire. Not common, but they do occur....

Rgds, D.

#1,633  
Date: May 05/18

Generator: 2kw Briggs

Activity: Very bad windstorm here. Lost 2 medium sized trees. Ran gen a total of about 4 hours, as water table was low for this time of year, and temps were reasonable. Fridge, small freezer, and sump pump; only 2 of 3 at a time.

Final Fueling notes: filled w. NonE gas. Red Stabil already in fuel can.

Maintenance notes (Done, or Required): Started 5'th pull, full choke. Need to check my other spreadsheet..... if my TBN notes are correct (likely), then I've let this 2kw sit too long. Restarts were first pull. Re-sealed cap.

Temperature: between 12 and 22 deg C.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #1,634  
Not really maintenance related, but !!

I love my champion and yamaha genrators, but they are both quite loud, specially when camping and I need to charge the batteries of the rv. I camp maybe 5-6 week end per year ( double this for my wife and kids) so I want my camping experience to be as quiet as possible!

I have been reading and looking for a quiet inverter genny for a while, and last week, the honda eu2000i had a 250$ rebate, so I went and got one :) ! Took it home and put it in the garage, did not even started it as the next day was fly out day for me!

And in my last time off at home I did bought a use truck camper , so I am sure that with the cabin ( use in the winter) the toy hauler fifth wheels and the now truck camper, I will find a use for the 2000 honda! And my generator collection is now up to 3!! So in case of a power outage, I have a back up of the back up!

On a generatir side note, still looking to find a deal on a use lister 6/1 engine.... not ready to spent 3k$ on it, but who knows, maybe eventually I will find a use one from an old farmer at a reasonable price for qhat I consider a hobby.... I did found one 2 years ago, it was in good running condition and came qith a load of spare parts, but I was so excited by the deal ( i surely was happy and expressive about it) that the seller back off on the sale and decide to keep it :-(.... lesson learn !

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #1,635  
Maybe not the place to ask this. I was at my Ex GFs Mothers place on the weekend. She has a LPG run B&S Standbye Screamer. Maybe 12 KW. Well she had a nine hour outage and it was just her screaming that the backup she paid a lot of money for was not working.

I played with it. It would start for a few seconds and shut off on account of over-speed, as per the fault code. I read something on the Internet, possibly related about mechanical governor issues. It's not my problem and is an hour and a half away, but if it would be a simple fix, I would try and help out an old lady, besides she is a good cook.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #1,636  
Maybe not the place to ask this. I was at my Ex GFs Mothers place on the weekend. She has a LPG run B&S Standbye Screamer. Maybe 12 KW. Well she had a nine hour outage and it was just her screaming that the backup she paid a lot of money for was not working.

I played with it. It would start for a few seconds and shut off on account of over-speed, as per the fault code. I read something on the Internet, possibly related about mechanical governor issues. It's not my problem and is an hour and a half away, but if it would be a simple fix, I would try and help out an old lady, besides she is a good cook.
I was about to reply after reading your first two sentences... as to what the heck are you doing at your ex GF's mother's place but your last sentence cleared it up! :D :laughing: Some things are hard to walk away from.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #1,637  
ACTUALLY, I collected money owing me for the last seven years for security work. Material only, at cost! Not that I was too aggressive in my collection attempts. But jeez, seven years!

#1,638  
Not really maintenance related, but !!

I love my champion and yamaha genrators, but they are both quite loud, specially when camping and I need to charge the batteries of the rv. I camp maybe 5-6 week end per year ( double this for my wife and kids) so I want my camping experience to be as quiet as possible!

I have been reading and looking for a quiet inverter genny for a while, and last week, the honda eu2000i had a 250$ rebate, so I went and got one :) ! Took it home and put it in the garage, did not even started it as the next day was fly out day for me!

And in my last time off at home I did bought a use truck camper , so I am sure that with the cabin ( use in the winter) the toy hauler fifth wheels and the now truck camper, I will find a use for the 2000 honda! And my generator collection is now up to 3!! So in case of a power outage, I have a back up of the back up!

On a generatir side note, still looking to find a deal on a use lister 6/1 engine.... not ready to spent 3k$ on it, but who knows, maybe eventually I will find a use one from an old farmer at a reasonable price for qhat I consider a hobby.... I did found one 2 years ago, it was in good running condition and came qith a load of spare parts, but I was so excited by the deal ( i surely was happy and expressive about it) that the seller back off on the sale and decide to keep it :-(.... lesson learn !

Nice addition to the Gen Herd ! That's a popular size of Honda.

Yeah, sometimes it helps to not seem too interested, when negotiating !

Rgds, D.

#1,639  

I haven't seen those Briggs myself, and haven't read about the governor issues. Does that unit auto-exercise ? If not, I'm wondering if the mech governor can seize up, from sitting too long ?

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #1,640  
Thanks. Yes it does excercise. I can't say, how unimpressed and annoyed I am with these Digital controls. Like hold this, and press that so many times! GARBAGE! It makes operating them impossible without the manual. I left the thing with the two breakers shut off, and I hope that the battery stays on charge. I only started looking at the thing as I was basically leaving (with my money).

Apparently it's not running really fast otherwise it would shut off right away. It's shutting off after a few seconds indicating only mildly over speed.

Also, there is no operator control panel in the house. In a prolonged outage, how should the elderly lady shut the thing off for a time? People buy stuff, that they have absolutely no capacity to deal with! Apparently she already spend a lot of money having a fifty cent diode replaced.