Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,211  
Just got another generator project.
My BIL brought over a 15kw (32) hp Generac standby engine that he wants to have as a spare.
This particular unit was replaced because of excessive blow by which covered the entire interior of the genset with oil. Prior to teardown I performed a compression test. 180 & 190 psi surprised me but then propanes auto ignition temp is over 800 degrees versus gasolines auto ignition temp of 530 degrees so it can utilize higher compression. I took it apart Saturday & found that something went thru the engine. Someone had taken it apart in an attempt to fix their mistake.
Lots of signs of inexperience here.
The piston looks like a grinder was used to remove an imbedded object.
Dimples on the piston & signs of heavy oil consumption & blow-by.
Cylinders have scuffs but a light hone should clean it up. Oversized pistons are not available.
Parts list is 2 pistons & ring sets, gaskets & seals.
Now to find a source for these parts.
90cummins
Yikes ! Caught the pics out of the side of my vision - thought those relief cuts look weird....

Family knows who the Engine Whisperer is !

Easy rebuild with your skills, Parts notwithstanding..... if you are getting stonewalled with Generac, perhaps grs knows A Parts Guy to try....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,212  
Interesting. Not at all temped though for 2.6 K watts at $9K. New Small Turbines, 600 Watts to 2 MW - Cleantech.Org
Way outside my price range.... but I usually like looking @ tech....

Military use was the first thing I thought of..... that soda-can sized man-packable one could make sense. Nowadaze emissions is the focus, but part of why I glommed the listing was to see where multi-fuel ranked in design factors.....

I like the idea of multi-fuel options, for emergency and esp. MIL applications.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,213  
You could try

check with their oarts dept. they will need serial number or model number of engine. Those parts are generally available. Even complete heads are available.

me, i usually just swap out entire motor.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,214  
Thank you GRS for that parts info!!!
We wouldn’t even think of repairing this except for the fact that he was given this gen set to repair the electrical end of his a couple years ago.
He knows the value of a spare. When you need it now theres nothing like having it setting on a shelf ready to go 👍
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,215  
Had lightning hit a tree about 50 feet from my Generac 22kw standby generator and fry the evolution controller. I bought a new controller online, and the generator came back to life, but the transfer switch took a hit as well. It is an 80’s vintage Onan OT series switch, the damaged boards were the two that control the generator start and transfer. The voltage sensors were unhurt, the surge came in through the 12 vdc wiring rather than the power. Surprisingly, parts are available for the over 40 year old switch, but I am most likely going to rewire it and just use the 12vdc from the generator’s transfer switch output (which I didn’t use before) that is intended to control a Generac switch.
All I will use in the Onan switch would be the linear actuator and limit switches. I would just need to add a 12vdc relay to switch the generator or utility power to actuate it. Functionally, the Onan works like a Generac switch using line voltage to move the switch and limit switches to remove power from the actuator when it reaches full travel. But the Onan uses a knife switch rather than points to make the contact, and a real linear actuator rather the light duty pair of coils with a built in rectifier bridge like the Generac.
So the question is, should I just replace the whole switch with a new Generac switch, even though it’s much lower quality, or make the Onan switch work with the Generac control?
I went through this once when I installed the generator to replace the one of the same vintage as the switch, and decided to use the Onan controls for the transfer rather than the transfer switch output on the Generator then, but I’m thinking it might be time to retire the vintage electronic portion of the Onan Switch.
What do you guys think?

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,216  
Boy, that seems like more work than my lazy butt would want to do. The generac branded switches really hold up well. Ive never had any issues with them as long as there not installed in an area with alot of brownout conditions. Brownouts play havoc with them. I installed a brownout device on my own unit. Unfortunately lightning can destroy anything. Im surprised the lightning only fried the controller and didnt take out the magnetos also.

i rebuilt a 10 kw unit that took a strike, took out the entire wiring harness. It was melted into a single wire. The controller was black with smoke, but actually worked ok after replacing harness…surprised.
i just added a surge suppressor to protect the control wires on my generator last week. the power side already had protection.

i repaired another one that took a lightning strike, one that also blew gfci outlets out of the house walls. The battery showed 0 volts…not sure why, the mags were shot, the controller was fried. But the wires showed no damage. Every unit hit by lightning is different . Very odd.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,217  
What brand surge protector do you recommend??
I installed (2) MidNite surge protectors, one for the entire house on incoming line and another for my Xantrex inverter.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,218  
What brand surge protector do you recommend??
I installed (2) MidNite surge protectors, one for the entire house on incoming line and another for my Xantrex inverter.
90cummins
The nice thing about the Midnite surge protectors is when the led light goes out you know it has done its job and it is time to replace it.
Good quality protection.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,219  
I have Siemens First Surge 140K suppressors on house and shop, and i installed a PSP Products control surge suppressor designed for generator surge protection. I ordered a plastic view port to cover green alert light.

20230814_100733.jpeg

20230814_125745.jpeg
IMG_6480.jpeg

the first surge has 2 green lights when functioning. The one pictured isnt mine, mine is indoors.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,220  
The nice thing about the Midnite surge protectors is when the led light goes out you know it has done its job and it is time to replace it.
Good quality protection.
Thanks for the confirmation!!
It’s good to know I made a good choice.
90cummins

Attachments

• IMG_7349.jpeg
    IMG_7349.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 57