Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,541  
I have not used any of these battery systems for my home backup power but I am considering getting one to replace my inverter generator that just got fried.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,542  
My sons fil lives in NY and they have numerous short outages & light flickering. He has comerical
Freezers & has lost compressors at 3k each.
Aside from a large battery backup is there a solution that could shut them down when voltage drops and restart them within a set time frame providing power quality is restored??

90cummins
Generically (I don't know specific models to name) I'm thinking a Power Quality Analyzer, controlling relevant switch-gear.

Any of that ^, worth relying on, I wouldn't expect to be cheap.... but @ a total guess - thinking it would be less costly than a standby generator, or UPS capable of supporting those units beyond minutes.

Perhaps Patrick or Chilliwack has seen these PQA controllers, in the wild....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,543  
I have not used any of these battery systems for my home backup power but I am considering getting one to replace my inverter generator that just got fried.

If I still have the computer around here, the bookmark is so old that the site is probably gone, but a Telco Eng built a monster system years ago, to run his home.

Massive sub-station sized mono-cell batteries in the bank, and the electronics to run his entire house for a long time between charges.

Like 90 has done today @ his place, there is a natural Yin-Yang (in my mind at least :cool: ) between generators and batteries in Delivering Power. If you have the space for the batteries, the only thing that needed to happen was the High-Power Electronics had to come down in cost, and that has certainly happened across the decades.

What A Time We Live In !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,544  
If I still have the computer around here, the bookmark is so old that the site is probably gone, but a Telco Eng built a monster system years ago, to run his home.

Massive sub-station sized mono-cell batteries in the bank, and the electronics to run his entire house for a long time between charges.

Like 90 has done today @ his place, there is a natural Yin-Yang (in my mind at least :cool: ) between generators and batteries in Delivering Power. If you have the space for the batteries, the only thing that needed to happen was the High-Power Electronics had to come down in cost, and that has certainly happened across the decades.

What A Time We Live In !

Rgds, D.
Thank you!!
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,545  
What happened to your generator? At the price of those battery systems, a Honda eu2200 would be a bargain…

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,546  
I have installed and replaced a few of those huge battary backup banks for the state of idaho over the years. There NOT cheap. And the batteries have a pretty short life span. Replacement batteries are also not cheap. But dang, they sure are quiet.

thing is, every so often an old battery module goes bad and smokes out the entire building.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,547  

Looks like the version with 66 batteries will give you 2700 watts for 2 hours. Probably not very practical compared to a generator.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,548  
The commercial ones i work with have battery modules that weigh about 60# each. They have about 20 of these as i recall. They suck replacing…..

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,549  
What happened to your generator? At the price of those battery systems, a Honda eu2200 would be a bargain…
See posts #6429, 6432 & 6434 in this thread for my fried generator story.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,550  
Generically (I don't know specific models to name) I'm thinking a Power Quality Analyzer, controlling relevant switch-gear.

Any of that ^, worth relying on, I wouldn't expect to be cheap.... but @ a total guess - thinking it would be less costly than a standby generator, or UPS capable of supporting those units beyond minutes.

Perhaps Patrick or Chilliwack has seen these PQA controllers, in the wild....

Rgds, D.

That’s not quite enough information for a specific answer but most likely the ‘power quality’ issue is low voltage, loss of phase if these are 3 phase units or a voltage spike when utility is lost.

There are protection relays to detect every type of unsatisfactory condition and multifunction protective relays that can be programmed for many types of protections but brand name industrial controls are very expensive - thousands to tens of thousands. There are cheap single function protection or sensing relays from that overseas country that starts with C.

These will require a contractor (CONTACTOR... darn spellcheck) to isolate the equipment. If these are not huge loads, it may be cost effective to run them from a UPS. It only needs to be large enough to supply the load, battery life is not an issue as the intention is to have the UPS supply ‘clean’ power at a constant voltage and frequency the make a clean power cut when it’s battery depletes rather than suffer an extended low voltage or other condition.

Last edited: