Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,701  
My son found out how occasionally running and running them dry helps when you really need them to run when you need it. Friday a.m. N. Florida had a storm that knocked down tree and took out power lines. His 3500/4800 watt gen is running his refrigerator and freezer and a fan and lights. He has a camper it will run so he can use the a/c.
For a Northerner, I can take some heat, but FL would be getting rough this time of year w/o A/C.

With today's food prices, IMO all a small gen has to do is get you through one outage, and lack of spoilage pretty much pays for it (y). Exercise is good, not just for people !

Hopefully the local utility is back up for them soon.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,702  
Just got a text message from him. Power came on at 7pm tonight. Approximately 36 hours. Not terrible.
He was living with us in 2004 in swflorida when hurricane Charlie come into town. We did not have power for 10 days.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,703  
It does seem likely it's 325KVA, which would bring it to about 260KW using a .8PF if I'm doing the math right?

The alternator is rated 325kW but the genset as a package is limited to the horsepower of the engine. Alternators only come in standard ratings, unlike a consumer unit that has the alternator built for the specific model.

You have a 250kW genset…

360hp x .746 = 268.56 kWm (mechanical)

268.56 kWm x 93% = 249.76 kWe

(typical efficiency on an alternator this size is usually 93 and change)

It’s also common to oversize an alternator to provide more amperage for motor starting. Since motor starting is typically a low power factor load it doesn’t take a lot of horsepower (kW), just a lot of copper to deliver those amps.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,704  
I bought my Honda 5Kw used in 1988. I used it to build my house, before Hydro came in. I don't use it much these days (hydro came in, and works very reliably!), but I do look for reasons to run it. I drilled 3/4" holes through two big maple trees for the kids zip line last week. That Honda started second pull, and ran like a champ. I have changed oil over the years, but I think it's still the same spark plug!

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,705  
IMG_7326.jpeg
I like my Hondas too. I also had a trusty Honda 5000 but several years ago sold it to buy an EM6500SX electric start. It’s quieter than the 5000 was and no worse on fuel. I exercise it regularly and always drain the carburetor afterwards, using the handy OEM drain. It’s my new pride and joy 🤩

#6,706  
Just got a text message from him. Power came on at 7pm tonight. Approximately 36 hours. Not terrible.
He was living with us in 2004 in swflorida when hurricane Charlie come into town. We did not have power for 10 days.
That was fairly quick.

Last really big wide-area event up here was the '98 Ice Storm, that hit your NE too. Some rural people were out for many weeks.

Rgds, D.

#6,707  
The alternator is rated 325kW but the genset as a package is limited to the horsepower of the engine. Alternators only come in standard ratings, unlike a consumer unit that has the alternator built for the specific model.

You have a 250kW genset…

It’s also common to oversize an alternator to provide more amperage for motor starting. Since motor starting is typically a low power factor load it doesn’t take a lot of horsepower (kW), just a lot of copper to deliver those amps.

Thanks CM. Always appreciate the Engineering details, esp. on the big stuff most of us don't get near.

Rgds, D.

#6,708  
I bought my Honda 5Kw used in 1988. I used it to build my house, before Hydro came in. I don't use it much these days (hydro came in, and works very reliably!), but I do look for reasons to run it. I drilled 3/4" holes through two big maple trees for the kids zip line last week. That Honda started second pull, and ran like a champ. I have changed oil over the years, but I think it's still the same spark plug!
Mobile projects are a great way to get exercise, for us and generators !

Even Hondas can have issues, with sitting too long.

Rgds, D.

#6,709  
View attachment 869403I like my Hondas too. I also had a trusty Honda 5000 but several years ago sold it to buy an EM6500SX electric start. It’s quieter than the 5000 was and no worse on fuel. I exercise it regularly and always drain the carburetor afterwards, using the handy OEM drain. It’s my new pride and joy 🤩
Like firetrucks, Hondas look good in Red !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,710  

You have a 250kW genset…

Awesome, thank you for the info!