Your part of the world

/ Your part of the world #11  
I live in the Green Mountains of north-central Vermont next to the Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music). We own 150 hillside acres that were used for sheep farming at the dawn of the 20th century and so are crisscrossed with lovely stone walls. The forest has long since reclaimed the farmland, so aside from the seven acres we keep clear around the house are lots of trees. Mostly sugar maple and black cherry, but also birch, beech, ash and a very few conifers.

We use a springhouse for water, with a couple of ponds as backups during droughts (and for recreation). Plenty of wildlife here: deer, turkeys, pheasant, black bear and the occasional moose. The wife and I rescue and rehabilitate abused golden retrievers, and have four of our own. Also three cats for mouse control, a flock of laying hens, and in the near future will add goats.

I personally love the changing weather here, but many don't. Winters are harsh, with an average of 200-300" of snow beginning in October and generally ending in April, though this year it snowed on May 30th. Usually the winter temps are in the teens and twenties, but there are a couple of weeks of bitter sub-zero readings usually in February. Like FarmerBob, I dread the occasional ice storms as the damage can be incredible. The rest of the year is quite pleasant, with scattered frequent showers and plenty of green.

For pics, check my website: http:\\www.gatewaytovermont.com

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Your part of the world #12  
Kerry,

We live in the Southeastern part of the US in Atlanta, Georgia. (1996 Olympics) Our tractor and most of our free time is spent at our other home in the North Georgia mountains which are the tail end of the Appalachain Mountain chain running up the east side of the US. Our 14 acres are very steep with a great deal of rock and the famous southern red clay. Although the south is known for growing pine trees used in paper and wood production, we have all hardwood trees on our place. The weather in this part of the country is hot and humid in the summer but mild with very little snow (some years none) in the winter. North Georgia farms mostly raise cattle and chicken with the fields in hay production.

Haven't been "down under" yet, but my wife is a flight attendant and we get to travel often. One of these days we will make a visit to your part of the world.

MarkV

/ Your part of the world
Gudday Richard, I had heard of the scheme you are talking about,pretty crazy. Most of the farming is on the coastal strips although there is a lot of large farms inland,mostly cotton these days,it has changed since I was working out there as a mechanic. Our place is on the Pacific coast,N.S.W. We are about 50 mile from the coast by road,and 3000' above sealevel.Our water supply comes from a natural spring and it never dries up. Not a lot of trees here,too much clearing in past years, a damn shame really. On our 130 acres we run a small Angus stud and I work on a dairy farm 6 miles from home. Most of our weather comes from the south &west,looking to the SE the Mrs looks over part of the Great Dividing Range which runs the length of the eastern part of Oz.The soil is red basaltic loam about 15' deep,even though most of the property is steep I still have a lot of arable country and lots of BIGGG rocks. Our average annual rainfall is 80" with the least rain falling in winter.We are below the snow line thankfully but a neighbor told me it did snow here about 11 yrs ago,bloody cold! Can't post any pics as my camera has dropped it's lunch,!!#~***!!!. That's allI can think of right now, too early in the morning,but I've just seen one of the most spectacular sun rises, watching that big yellow ball of fire coming out of the ocean is awesome! Kerry

/ Your part of the world
Gudday jd,I'll have to get a detailed map to locate most of these guys.My adopted Mom was Kiwi so we'll leave out the sheep jokes eh. After talking to another south islander I have a fair idea where you are,beautiful country, like the crayfish. It sounds very similar to here but probably colder? The Dorrigo Plateau is a dairying area with2 old cheese factories that I know of,there are fewer dairy farms now but they are bigger,more cows per farm but fewer farms,the others have gone over to commcrcial or stud beef cattle as we have. Well the Mrs has woken up so I'd better stop gasbagging and make her some coffee,marvellous stuff coffee!,then I'd better go to work. Kerry

/ Your part of the world #15  
Hi ya Kerry
here a link to akaroa which is not far 20-30 K's (15-20Mi )away from us

http://www.akaroa.com/

http://www.nz-holiday.co.nz/akaroa/photos.htm

it gives ya some idea of what it's like over here for a few bucks more the photo shop will put ya pics on a website once i get there i'll get some pics of the land and my gear on the net for people to look at
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Your part of the world
JDK,gudday mate,How did you get foto shop to do that,around here if you asked for something like that the staff in the local chemist/drug store would look at you with a blank face and ask What's that? and then proceed to ignore you as if you were from Mars or something.For anything like that you have to have to have your own equipment, but I suppose they are only counter jumpers.Kerry.