Your socket organizers

/ Your socket organizers #31  
i toss any stinking thing i gotta push the correct end of the socket down on.
i toss anything that requires you to place socket in a plastic thing and socket slides in side ways err pushes in, and plastic holds the socket in place.
i toss anything that offers all sizes in a large plastic tool box per say (comes in a set)
i toss anything that requires the sockets to stand up right in a little tray or stay in a certain position within a tray. stinking thing falls over and everything falls out and out of place.

1/4" drives, large plastic clear see through container i can fit my hand down into. with a screw on top. find various stuff at grocery stores for preztles to chips to peanuts. nothing is in order of course but grab a handful were i think correct size is and hope i got right one. 1 to 3 hand fulls later normally get right socket. if you can not find something that works. grab a thing of heavy duty freezer zip lock bag and move on.

1/2" to 3/4" drive deep/long sockets. i found a plastic case/set about 12" to 18" in length with a plastic hing/lid one for metric 1 for US. and used for air compressor impact gun. about the only thing i have tolerated. due to i do not use impact gun that much. projects end up every were were not near air compressor and generic socket wrench good enough.

1/2" to 3/4" short sockets little metal tray and toss the sockets into, no order, just toss them in. generally holds socket reducers and like to go from different sizes also tends to hold socket wrenches themselves, extensions and like. my issue it takes 1 to 4 times to get correct size socket, but generally larger sockets are fine, it is the smaller sizes, were the drive size is nearly same size as what it is. that is when i end up taking a couple extra tries to find correct size socket.

above is sloppy, but the plastic container, small shallow metal trays. are easy to grab and do not take up much space, and end up weighing less. and i end up with a small cardboard box off to the side, so as i find what i need for given project i toss the tools i have used / sockets into. so i do not have to go sorting to find same tool again. the same cardboard box also ends up being parts box as well. this generally helps when waiting for parts for something. and not having to go get same tool / find same tool again.

on larger projects it is 5 gallon buckets instead of small cardboard box.

i hate drawers with a passion. all my hand tools, hang by a nail/screw, or slide into a 1/2" or 3/4" electrical wire staple. i have one box for knives/razors, pen shape odd ball tools that has little dividers 1"x1" to 1" x 3" that lays flat on its back. i grab what i want and into box or 5 gallon bucket and move on like i am shopping in a store. and when done re-stock the shelves. the only exception is socket / socket wrenches and regular wrenches. power tools never get shoved in drawers. all laid out on a lower shelf (knee high) just above all the hand tools.

at moment it looks like a tornado went through. with different projects not completed. and tools here and there. but it is all there. in little mini store single side store isle shop area.

/ Your socket organizers #32  
This is a great thread!!!
Couple years ago my son gave me a gift certificate which I used to purchase a really nice Dewalt 1/2 drive socket set...
I have a couple of good other sets in 3/4" and the such including a hodgepodge of loose miscreants that I have trouble keeping up with...
What I now do is keep those socket sets in their respective cases and keep the cases on my work cart while I am working along with my hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc...
It has worked out the best for me so far...
I think what I need to do is get a couple more carts to organize the different tools...
Those odd and end sockets is what this thread is for...
Thanks to the original poster...

/ Your socket organizers #33  
Start by labeling your drawers... and not the one's your wearing. :laughing:

Labels similar to this would work best. It should greatly speed up putting things away.

TOOLS
Tools
Assorted Tools
STUFF
ODDS and ENDS
MISCELLANEOUS

/ Your socket organizers #34  
I did something similar to my toolbox at work.

I used this stuff...
Kaizen Foam - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

Works great. It's multi-layered. So you outline a tool, say a screwdriver, then use a thin razor knife (dollar at harbor freight) and carve out the outline. You go deeper in the screwdriver handle area and shallower in the shank area, then peel out one or two layers under the shank, and three or four layers under the handle. Custom fit!

386698d1408149720-shadowing-out-toolbox-mossshadow1-jpg

386700d1408149803-shadowing-out-toolbox-mossshadow3-jpg

386701d1408149823-shadowing-out-toolbox-mossshadow4-jpg

I REALLY like that!!

You're hired. :)

Terry

/ Your socket organizers
I am a HUGE fan of these. For some reason, I struggle to see the numbers on sockets these days! No, age has nothing to do with it.:) Had to buy the large set of course, but well worth it as now I have plenty for future sockets and replacement of damaged ones. They hold up surprisingly well, oil and chemicals don't bother them but occasionally one will get scraped off in tight quarters. Definitely would buy them again. I see now they have labels for drawers too.
Steel Labels | Professional Labels to Organize Your Tools

/ Your socket organizers #36  
I REALLY like that!!

Terry

Here's the next drawer down...

Metric right side, standard left side.

507277d1493161785-your-socket-organizers-mossroadsockets-jpg

Well, the picture rotated, but you get the drift.

Attachments

• MossRoadSockets.jpg
    MossRoadSockets.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 660
   / Your socket organizers #38  
Reminds me of the Styx song..
Too much time on my hand

/ Your socket organizers #39  
I REALLY like that!!

Terry

For the sockets, I just stuck them on an extension through the wrong end, put a heat gun on the socket for 15-20 seconds, then pushed the socket into the foam. It made its own perfect indentation for each socket. Also, I put a thin, black drawer liner under the whole thing so that on the few that I cut all the way through, like the flashlight, it was still soft underneath.

That foam is available in many thicknesses, and some with different color layers as well. I like the solid black. It was fairly inexpensive, too.

/ Your socket organizers #40  
Reminds me of the Styx song..
Too much time on my hand

Yeah, my toolbox at home looks nothing like that! :laughing:

But my workbox has to stay organized. I roll it between 1/4 and 1/2 mile nightly and it really helps to look in it before you leave to check if anything is missing. If its missing, it might have been left in a machine. That would be bad... very bad... :)

Also, the foam keeps it from clanking all over and for the most part, everything stays in its place when rolling around, even over bumps, diamond plate floors being the exception.

It took me about 2-3 hours to do each drawer, including laying it out for best fit, carving around each tool, and removing the foam.

So one evening well spent for years of organization pays off for me and my employer.

Another nice thing about this foam is that if you screw up, or buy new/more tools, or want to change something, you can easily just cut out a rectangle in it anywhere, lay in a plug of new foam, and carve away. Can't hardly see the seams.