Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,101  
Dang, both of those 'burbans look super nice.

Tough choice. I think I would go 6.0L and quadrasteer, though. The 8.1 is likely to use 15-20% more fuel to do the same exact driving (though, as you note, tow a bit more leisurely). Those cab clearance and rear fender flare lights are boss, too.

Whats the difference betwen a 4L80 and 4L85?

The 4L85E has 5 gears in the planetary gearset vs. 4 for the 4L80. Not a huge difference but it's something. I just changed all 4 bearings/hubs on the Quadrasteer and those rear hubs are unique to the Quadrasteer axle. None of the Delcoline shops around me could get them so I ordered from Rockauto and I think I got 2 of the last 3 they had. I'm half thinking to go ahead and get that last one just in case they won't be made anymore. The 8.1 on the other hand runs the standard full float corporate 14 bolt.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,102  
I recently picked up 2 GMT800 2500 Suburbans for towing duty. I have 4 kids so being able to tow anything I would realistically need to along with my whole family was the primary goal. The dark grey is an 8.1/4L85E/3.73 and the silver is a 6.0/4L80E/4.10 with Quadrasteer. The 8.1 has a max trailer weight of 10,100 and GCWR of 17,000. The Quadrasteer has a max trailer weight of 9,300 pounds and 16,000 GCWR. I got the 8.1 from Seattle and had it shipped (almost no rust), the silver from Houston (absolutely no rust!) and I flew out and drove it home. I've only "test" towed my in law's ~7000 pound travel trailer around town but the 8.1 clearly wasn't working as hard as the 6.0. The 8.1 is significantly quieter in the cab as well. Both towed the trailer just fine though. I'm leaning towards selling off the Quadrasteer but it's so darned nice driving that one around town and parking lots. It literally has the turning radius of a Civic.

If you were to sell the Quadrasteer Suburban what would you be thinking for a price? Such fine things do not exist here in Maine.

I've always loved them.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,103  
The 4L85E has 5 gears in the planetary gearset vs. 4 for the 4L80. Not a huge difference but it's something. I just changed all 4 bearings/hubs on the Quadrasteer and those rear hubs are unique to the Quadrasteer axle. None of the Delcoline shops around me could get them so I ordered from Rockauto and I think I got 2 of the last 3 they had. I'm half thinking to go ahead and get that last one just in case they won't be made anymore. The 8.1 on the other hand runs the standard full float corporate 14 bolt.
I was under the impression that all 8.1s had the 5 speed Allison 1000. The 4L85 is a 4 speed transmission. The first number is the number of gears. The L is for longitudinal vs T for Transverse. 80 or 85 is the series. It's likely an Allison if it's a 5 speed. Look for a spin on filter near the LF corner of the pan. If so it's an Allison.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,104  
The pickup 8.1s got the Allison, burbs got the 4L85E. In order to put the Allison in the GMT800 platform GM had to do a factory 2 inch body lift. Apparently they didn't want to do that on the Suburbans. There are companies out there who stuff Duramax and Allisons in to Suburbans, the 2 inch body lift comes with all of them.

I read the 60/80/85 in the GM transmissions was a relative torque handling number.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,105  
If you were to sell the Quadrasteer Suburban what would you be thinking for a price? Such fine things do not exist here in Maine.

I've always loved them.

I sent you a PM.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,106  
We had a derailment around here about 4 years ago, some were tank cars. It was parallel to a highway and just a couple hundred feet away so access was easy. They cut into the sides of the tankers to drain them. They brought in a lot of gravel to build a road along the tracks. It was quite a project.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,107  
The pickup 8.1s got the Allison, burbs got the 4L85E. In order to put the Allison in the GMT800 platform GM had to do a factory 2 inch body lift. Apparently they didn't want to do that on the Suburbans. There are companies out there who stuff Duramax and Allisons in to Suburbans, the 2 inch body lift comes with all of them.

I read the 60/80/85 in the GM transmissions was a relative torque handling number.
That's that's another way to look at it. I doubt there are any parts in the 30s the are in the 80 85s. IRRC the 80 and 85 are pretty similar except the clutch packs and a few other parts. Both are very solid transmissions.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,108  
I just bought this little extreme duty service trailer. I bought it with the intention of putting the axels under my equipment trailer. It’s got double 10k axels with super singles and air brakes.
IMG_2147.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,109  
A few years ago when I was doing side jobs I would have like to have had that trailer it looks like it could have been handy, but now a days I leave most of the work to someone else.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,110  
I did an axle upgrade on a trailer. Don't remember axle capacity I took off, but put on a 2000 lb one. Ended up bending the frame. Jon