Z-Force 60 S question

/ Z-Force 60 S question #1  

billsranch

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1864, Husqvarna CZ1748 (2006), Ford LGT125 (1980), MM-U (1953)
I am looking at a new Z-Force 60 S from Cub Cadet. These are zero turn mowers but with a steering wheel instead of lap bars.
Has anyone had any experience with this model? Is the steering wheel system going to stand up and be durable or would the lap bars be better in the long run? I'm looking to replace my old Cub, soon.
Bill.

/ Z-Force 60 S question #2  
Bill, that was the only Z-Force model my dealer had on the floor when I ordered my (lap bar) Z-Force 44 a few weeks ago. The frame is thicker on the S-series, I assume to accommodate the steering column, etc. The whole steering deal on it felt very sturdy (my little guy hopped on it and was yanking/pushing/pulling everything) Unfortunately I didn't get a good look at the underpinnings to see how it all works. The 60" S-series has the better ZT-2800 transaxles and the wide 20x10 rear tires wich is nice. The 48's have the lighter ZTR trans and smaller tires/wheels. For those reasons I'd only go 60" on this model.

Joel

/ Z-Force 60 S question
Joel, thanks for the information. My dealer has one in stock, so going to look at it today. Good to know it has the heavier transaxle. I've read some posts stating Cub's have a sealed transmission so wondering about this model.
Also, I believe this "S" model does not have a pivoting front axle, probably to accomodate the front wheel steering. I am wondering if it will handle as well as your z-force model. Will let you know what I find out.
Bill.

/ Z-Force 60 S question
We looked at the z-force s 60 yesterday. This model has the steering wheel instead of lap bars. The steering is tight, which makes it harder to turn the wheel. It needs power steering as it is quite an effort to turn. So, we are not getting this model. We checked out the z-force 50, but its max deck size is 54". Was hoping to find a 60" width mower.

/ Z-Force 60 S question #6  
Hi all, hope my information is of some use, purchased the zforce 60 s with the steering wheel and found that at yet sometimes the wheel may be tough to turn but by applying more acceleration even though this seems unlogical causes the transmission to ease the steering by at least 75% and slow the tractor down when the wheel is turned 90 degrees without ever letting go of the acceleration pedal. Also if you have land that is not level it has the four wheel steering that keeps your front wheels from turning if you crossing a incline. I have a field that connects to my yard that on average when mowed weekly takes 4 hours to finish approx size 3 to 4 acres. With the field overgrown I completed this grueling task in less than two and half hours. Would suggest this product to anyone. Hope I have not bored you with this information just thought it might help the unweary buyer.

/ Z-Force 60 S question #7  
Last month I bought the 48" Z-Force S, and even though it's not as heavy duty has the 60", I absolutely love the mower. It's actually fun again to mow. I did have one problem, the starter went out with only 8 hrs on the machine but was fixed under warranty.

/ Z-Force 60 S question #8  
Hey good to hear from another S-series owner! Welcome aboard. That's an odd one with the starter. You hear of very few starter issues, Kawasaki or Kohler. Honestly I think you're better off going smaller than the 60" deck on these machines. IMO the weight of the 60" is too much for the ZT-2800 transaxles for the long haul. The ZT-2800's get HOT to the touch on my 44" after an hour's worth of Buffalo NY mowing. I wouldn't want to load them anymore.

Joel

/ Z-Force 60 S question #9  
I thought that was strange also about the starter also. My last Cub lasted me 9 years and the only repair was a belt. It was a Model 1170 and it was a great mower. I only mow 1.5 acres and it was always stored inside. I just wanted a little bigger cut and after 9 years, something new.

/ Z-Force 60 S question #10  
Last month I bought the 48" Z-Force S, and even though it's not as heavy duty has the 60", I absolutely love the mower. It's actually fun again to mow. I did have one problem, the starter went out with only 8 hrs on the machine but was fixed under warranty.

I also bought the 48" Z Force S around the same time. My starter solenoid went out in late september with about 12 hrs on it. I've been without the mower for almost 5 weeks now. I've been told the solenoid is on back order.

Has anybody tried the mulching kit for this mower? If so how well does it work? My dealer did not think to highly of it. He suggested gator blades instead, but they don't make gator blades for this model.

Anybody bagging? How well does it work?

Why doesn't Cub make blowers for their bagging units?