ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #1  

Brown Dog

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 5115M 5101E H260 5115M 540M all MFD
I'm considering a ZD1511 72" since I can't find a real low hour ZD331.

How do you rear discharge guys like the clippings blowing up under rear of mower ?

How much blade overlap does the 72" rear discharge have ? Or how long is blades ?

Does the side discharge have same overlap ?

I'm currently mowing with a Befco 110" RFM the last 4yrs.

Side Discharge DOES NOT WORK for my application as I normally mow real thick and / or wet grass.

I've been using Land Pride 72", Bush hog 84" & Befco 110" rear discharge for the last 20yrs

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #2  
We just ordered a zd1211 60" rear discharge. I have yet to find a dealer that thinks highly of them. They say it'll windrow when you cut tall grass but that seems to happen with any side discharge I've ever used. Another complaint is it'll leave grass uncut. I think it mostly has to do with them not being familiar with it and pushing the side discharge. I borrowed my buddies zd1211 with a side discharge and loved the mower but hated being covered in grass and dirt when the wind was blowing or making turns, that and the fact we have a little landscaping and a pool and don't want stuff blown all over. Should be in in a week or two and I'll let you know how it goes.

Brett

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #3  
I have an f2690 with a rear discharge 72 in deck. Great cut and there is no grass blowing back under the mower. My dealer said I should get a side discharge...I asked why and he said they sold more of them. I asked why and it turns out they really had no reason except "we just always have". I also have 2 New Hollands with rear discharge 72 inch decks and they all three do not shoot the clippings up under the mower One of the New Holland's is a front deck (MC35) like the Kubota f2690 and the other is a mid mount under a compact utility tractor. Before these I had 2 side discharge mowers that covered me with clippings and dirt. I will NEVER have a side discharge again. BTW, there is no clumping or wind rowing with the rear dc mowers.

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP
Great info guys :D

I sure like the F3990 4wd 72" but their lil pricey lol

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #5  
I've owned a F2680e 60" rear discharge and then a F3080 72" rear discharge which I now use and bought another F3080 72" side discharge and hated it. I bougfht a ZD326 60" rear discharge and insisted dealer get it in rear discharge over his resistance. I love rear discharge and hate side discharge. Also owned/own Rear finish mowers in rear discharge. The grass does blow under all of the F rear discharge mowers I've owned but that's why they make leaf blowers to blow it off after mowing but I'd rather have it under the mower as have it all over me!
I feel the rear discharge distributes the cut grass over the yard much better than side discharge and I like cutting close with both sides of the deck. I just bought a new BX2370-1 60" side discharge because it doesn't come in rear discharge but had the $200 mulching kit installed to keep it from side discharging and removed the side guide chute so I can mow close with both sides of the deck.
My experience with two Zs is that they are not for hillside property and not for high and wet grass. They cut great for the "lawn" guy instead of the "yard" guy like me. I wait another week or so past when my yard needs mowing before mowing. I want it high enough to know for sure where I have and haven't cut and I hate mowing. My experience with Zs. Got rid of both of mine and use the F 3080 as my primary mower and just got the BX2370-1 for my wife and Grandson to help with some mowing.
I'd sure look at the F and figure monthly pmnts vs the Z before buying if one is like me and likes/has to mow higher than some people call normal grass and for sure if there are any semi steep sections of yard/lawn.

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #6  
I like the f3990, too. I did not want the dpf filter, however. That is the main reason I bought the f2690. I was concerned about the power difference since I had the New Holland MC35, also an out front mower but with 35 hp. I've had no power issues with the f2690 and really love it. What ever you get, get the rear discharge mower....you will like that.

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP
Thanks for the feedback.
Several Dealers has told me the same thing saying You don't want a rear discharge lol

JohnThomas described my mowing spot on : as I don't / can't mow weekly either.
I mow when I get time & that's usually after grass is tall & thick.

Rear Discharge is my only choice too.

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #8  
It has been mentioned that the ZD is not great on hillsides. I have a ZD1211 and a F2680 and I find the Z to be superior on the hillsides. I am curious as to why others have different results. What are your circumstances etc? Just what kind of hills you are encountering. I'm doing ditches along a driveway with quite steep sides.

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #9  
It has been mentioned that the ZD is not great on hillsides. I have a ZD1211 and a F2680 and I find the Z to be superior on the hillsides. I am curious as to why others have different results. What are your circumstances etc? Just what kind of hills you are encountering. I'm doing ditches along a driveway with quite steep sides.

:eek::confused3: Not saying I don't believe what your saying for your own experience and you may be a better controller of those sticks than a steering wheel. Never hear anyone say what your saying. I know at least three of us that own Fs and have owned Zs have different feelings about this and dealers and other owners agree that Zs are not for hillsides.The two I owned, Z121 and ZD326 would sometimes start flying downhill and totally uncontrollable. You saying that NEVER happened to you? If not then maybe our hills are a bit steeper than yours or maybe ours were a bit wet. I've looked down and both wheels turning backward and the Z flying down and gaining speed and deciding it's own direction totally without my helping it choose. I did do one section that is my steepest and 92% of the time by creeping it (ZD326) stayed on track but that other 8% of the time when it took off scared the crap out of me. Going up hill was also scary concerned it was going to flip back on me like my neighbors did on him and he immediately got rid of his for a BX2350.
I've owned three different Fs and they are the most stable machines I've ever operated on my property and I even cut cross ways on my front slope and the ZD326 would have done it also but with major one stick manipulation or it did when I tried it. The Z does have a low center of gravity but the occasional uncontrolled down hill runs (Every Z owner I've talked to has admitted this experience with a crap eating grin on their face) and feeling of about to flip backwards on up hill runs got me out of the Z business.
I guess another one of those different strokes for different folks issues. I really wanted to like the Zs with the investment I'd made in them and they were fun to operate. The F for me also was so much faster and better on the open grass areas than the Zs per me and my son in law who mowed for me at the rental property and used both machines. The Z was quicker around the rental units but not out in the open and required constant manipulation of the steering sticks since the ground wasn't "lawn" level where the F just maintain a straight track with the slightest manipulation of the steering wheel.
My :2cents:, well maybe a quarters worth.:D

/ ZD1511 72" REAR DISCHARGE INFO & BLADE OVERLAP #10  
I agree..I cut the sides of a very steep sandmound and my Z724 holds the grade very well..On dry grass anyway. It's steep enough to pull the front wheels going up if that's any reference...Took a while to get the nerve to go across it at first..No biggie now.