ZD326 gas gauge stopped working

/ ZD326 gas gauge stopped working #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
My main gas gauge on my ZD326 stopped working and stays all the way down on empty. I suppose the float in the tank is at fault. How hard is this to repair or replace?

/ ZD326 gas gauge stopped working #2  
That's happened twice to me on my ZD21, it was a bad ground connection. Two minute fix. The terminals to the fuel gauge are exposed on the bottom of the fender. I pulled them off, cleaned them up and hit them with dielectric grease and the gauge is good for a few years. Then I need to repeat the fix.

/ ZD326 gas gauge stopped working
I found my problem. RUST! The sender is completely rusted out. Why would they put such cheap metal inside a gas tank. The number on it is K3181 and then the numbers 412 are stamped on it also. I don't know where to buy one. The one Messicks sells doesn't look anything like this and I don't know if perhaps it replaces this one but it doesn't look like it would.
IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

/ ZD326 gas gauge stopped working #4  
WOW, the one in my 20 year old ZD21 looks like new. It's constantly bathed in diesel. Not sure why yours is so deteriorated.

The only one I can find at Kubota dealers doesn't look like mine but the description says it will fit a zd326. Does this look like it would fit to you?
gauge.jpg

Until I can find a new one, I took that one and wire brushed the loose rust off and soaked it in wd40 and got it working again but I will put on a new one as soon as I find one because this one will have a lot of rust going into my tank.

/ ZD326 gas gauge stopped working #7  
Are you getting a lot of water in your fuel, or leaving the tank empty most of the time? Otherwise, I can't think rust would be that much of a problem.

Are you getting a lot of water in your fuel, or leaving the tank empty most of the time? Otherwise, I can't think rust would be that much of a problem.
I've never noticed any water in the filter bowls. The worst rust is on the part that is at the very top of the tank so it would not be covered in diesel even if the tank was full. I think that part was allowed to start rusting before they even put it in the tractor.

I found the fuel sender at Messicks. It is listed under electrical parts instead of fuel. Strange that the gauge for the other tank is listed under fuel.

/ ZD326 gas gauge stopped working #10  
Need to keep your tanks free of water and rust wont be a problem. It’ll also keep your injectors and possibly your engine from getting ruined.