Zerk/lube idea...

/ Zerk/lube idea... #11  
Ideas and tips are not for everyone. If it's not your cup of tea that's ok.
When greasing fittings why not stop at 30 when there are 32? Because 2 won't get greased?!?

You missed my point. What I'm asking is what prompts you to remember that there are 32 grease zerks so you don't miss the last two?

/ Zerk/lube idea... #12  
Back in early 60's I was a young lad and worked in gas station... Owner was retired motor pool master sergeant, his teaching was to just use rag to clean fitting with rag to keep dirt from being forces into zerk when applying grease, concept has always worked for me... Can't fathom crawling around finding all 32 caps in sequence, Also need score sheet or assistant to locate next zerk for me... If I missed one today, really sure it won't kill tractor before it gets greased tomorrow... Besides owners manual says my tractor only has 8 fittings and I printed out diagram where they are located and pinned it to shop wall... Then there is the 12 on FEL...

Dale

/ Zerk/lube idea... #13  
Yep, put those rubber caps on every zerk on the tractor, loader and BH. Then I liked them so much, put them on the finish mower zerks too. Very nice at keeping all the dirt/dust off, ready to grease!

OH, I also wash AND wax the tractor!

Good man!

/ Zerk/lube idea... #14  
I think the main point being - whatever works for you. I know when I get close to finishing the greasing of my grapple, FEL, tractor and rear blade - I'm so greased up I can barely hold/operate the grease gun. 32 sound like a number that would fit my greasing activities also.

/ Zerk/lube idea... #15  
I can't remember to put 4 valve stem caps back on my tires let alone 10-30 grease caps!
:laughing:

/ Zerk/lube idea... #16  
I like the idea as well. I did buy the yellow covers that helps me locate some of the hidden zerks on both my tractor and my lawnmower. As mentioned, the zerks themselves are made to keep the dirt out, so that feature is redundant, i.e. no real benefit.

I will note however, that the zerk covers don't last very long before they no longer snap on, and I tend to lose them sometimes while doing my grease chores. But they're cheap, so that's not really a worry.

/ Zerk/lube idea... #17  
A bright color, making finding the zerk, would be my reason to do this. I would skip the numbering.

/ Zerk/lube idea... #19  
IF you like it, great. I wouldn't bother. Have to wipe them anyway. And just the ball/end of fitting isn't the problem for a machine that gets a lot of dirt work. The recessed zerks accumulate so much crud that has to get cleaned out or the gun fitting won't go on anyway. So for me, they's do little good - just something else to keep up with - I have to clean a lot of the fittings anyway and wiping with rag before attaching gun is just a good practice regardless. But for at least 1/4 of mine, I'm usually de-crudding the area with a small screwdriver first, so the cap wouldn't save much.

I would also guess if one must mark every zerk to avoid missing, he is putting very, very few hrs on the machine. It doesn't take too many times to "just know" where they are and have a good pattern to get them all. So if greasing is so infrequent that you don't "just know" where they are and it's like muscle memory, not sure that breaking out the manual or some reference sheet isn't still necessary. I also have several that any type of paint marker, sticky label, or whatever else would be completely obscured by crud. If I didn't know where it was and didn't know to hit it, painting it glow in the dark fluorescent green wouldn't matter - if it's covered in crud or on upper rear side of front pivot - that won't do much good.

Keeping spare fittings and the correct size box wrench in the toolbox would be far more beneficial to me. Forgetting to hit one is pretty unlikely. Finding one occasionally that no longer is willing to accept grease - more common.

/ Zerk/lube idea... #20  
I prefer to make copies of the manual with diagrams of where the zerks are located. Then when I grease just check off the greased zerk (can use just a dab of grease instead of a pencil).