zero Turn help

/ zero Turn help #1  

veresjwv

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400-HST
Hello, I really need some help.... I am 64 years old and I mow approx. 3 acres of grass once a week. I have been using a riding mower with a 54 inch cut width for the last ten years. it takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours to cut. My machine is getting tired and time for a new one. I understand a zero turn would just about cut my time in half. The problem is, the mower I buy will most likely be the last one I purchase soooo.. I am looking for recommendations, I want a commercial mower that will last for 15 to 20 years with good maintenance. Expecting to pay 8 to 10K. What should I be looking at? Thanks for any help!

/ zero Turn help #2  
What dealers are near you? I would shop them and go with the dealer you like the best. When you pay that much money, you are getting a good machine. Around here Scag, ExMark, Ferris and Hustler are the main brands. All are good machines. Pick the brand by rating the dealer. You will easily cut your mowing time in half with a zero turn over a lawn tractor. I am kicking myself for not getting a zero turn 8 years ago when I moved to the country and started mowing 5 acres.

/ zero Turn help #3  
Check hustler if its near your area. Also had good luck with exmark but not as heavy duty

/ zero Turn help #4  
I don't think you can go wrong if you stick with a name brand. Most have the same engines and drive systems in you price range. Ex mark, Scag, Ferris, Toro, Hustler, Kubota, JD-I bought a Toro simply because my buddy is a dealer and he is 3 miles from my house.

Will

/ zero Turn help #5  
Hello, I really need some help.... I am 64 years old and I mow approx. 3 acres of grass once a week. I have been using a riding mower with a 54 inch cut width for the last ten years. it takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours to cut. My machine is getting tired and time for a new one. I understand a zero turn would just about cut my time in half. The problem is, the mower I buy will most likely be the last one I purchase soooo.. I am looking for recommendations, I want a commercial mower that will last for 15 to 20 years with good maintenance. Expecting to pay 8 to 10K. What should I be looking at? Thanks for any help!

Around this area Exmark is by far the most popular brand with the pro's . Just make sure you are getting a true" commercial " mower. The last few years most brands have come out with "homeowner" zero turns, which are ok mowers, but not built nearly as heavy duty as a true commercial mower. I would rather have a good low (under 1000 hour ) commercial used mower than a new homeowner zero turn. I purchased a 500 +/- hour Exmark mower about 3 years ago and it has been a beast ,needing only regular maintenance and new belts .

/ zero Turn help #6  
I would recommend Ferris IS2100Z, with larger deck if smooth and no obstacles, smaller deck if needed. I think with proper maintenance and some care, it will last for you. I got a Ferris IS700Z with 52" deck and expect it is the last mower I buy.

/ zero Turn help #8  
Most of the big name commercial machines are similar in design and components. I would find a local dealer who is trustworthy and go with that brand. I have a hustler fast track sdx and it's a solid machine that has given no problems. I'm sure it will outlast me.

/ zero Turn help #9  
I am in agreeance with what is stated above...find a good dealer and go with it. The machines in the price range you are looking will be pretty comparable and will handle what you throw at them with ease. I currently have a Gravely ZTHD52 which is entry level commercial and cost me $5k when I bough it. It has done fine for me in the 6 years I have owned it doing just your scheduled maintenance (ok I may go a little overboard according to the wife but whatever!). I have 290 hours on the unit and only cut 2 acres right now. I was cutting 3 lawns the first couple years which drove the hours up some. I hope to get a bunch more years out of it but I actually may trade it in in a year or two just to update and maybe get a 60" deck. I will shop around at that time and see what I like.

God luck and post some pics.

/ zero Turn help #10  
I would not even think of one without a front deck. Once you have one you do not go back as it cuts your trimming time way down and keeps you out of the bushes. Some people need a dealer but if you are mechanically inclined and will work on it yourself I recommend Deines. I have had mine since 98 and it just came back from the shop for the first time - the seal went out on the motor crankshaft (Kohler). They are simple that any repair shop can work on them but it has never had a need to go to the shop until now as it has only been blades, tires, batteries and drive chains. Very simple stuff.

The one thing I would look for is a mower that uses standard components. Some use a lot of components that are special built that are not available after 15 or so years - think Deere, Toro, Grasshopper.

My reasons for Deines:
Easy flip up deck for deck cleanout and blade maintenance
Standard off the shelf components
Good mail order service and reasonable prices - I purchased my chain from them versus TSC because it was cheaper even with shipping.
Lower cost machine because they do not have to support the dealer network
Durability, cut, and ease of use.