zero turn mower

/ zero turn mower #1  

merlebo02

Tractor
JD or Kubota
in the market for a new zero turn mower, maybe 60" deck.. Have a kubota dealership here in town and will be getting a kubota 7060 tractor as well so leaning towards the kubota mower good or bad move?? any first hand experience with the kubota mowers? Whats the general census on these mowers??

/ zero turn mower #3  
Well, if you bought the 7060 from your local dealership I'd certainly go and ask them, especially when it comes to dealership service. If you didn't buy from that dealership, I'd still talk to them for the same reason... sure you didn't buy the 'big boy' from them, but now you've got a 'fleet' that needs servicing/parts.

As to the actual zed-turns out there, I can't say.

/ zero turn mower #4  
I have had a Kubota ZD 1800 for ten years and it still runs like new with only annual service and new blades once a year. I mow an acre at least weekly and share the mowing of an additional 17 acres periodically. I'm going to order a new one just because of the desired new features but this old one just keep working. The ZD 1800 has a 54 inch deck ( the largest I can use with the contour of my lot and was the entry level commercial when I bought it.

/ zero turn mower #5  
I have had a Kubota ZD 1800 for ten years and it still runs like new with only annual service and new blades once a year. I mow an acre at least weekly and share the mowing of an additional 17 acres periodically. I'm going to order a new one just because of the desired new features but this old one just keep working. The ZD 1800 has a 54 inch deck ( the largest I can use with the contour of my lot and was the entry level commercial when I bought it.

Too bad you don't live closer to Toronto, or I would buy it from you!

Nice handle. You are the relative, are you?😜

/ zero turn mower #6  
Not a Kubota, but I recently bought a Hustler Raptor 54" with a Kohler 26 HP engine. My first ZT and I really like it. Best feature for me? Pull a pin, move a lever and press a switch so the deck rotates 90 degrees to a vertical position. Easy to change blades or wash out debris. I'm too old to get down on my knees to do that stuff anymore. Some dealers were willing to sell me a screw jack for their ZT models but this is better, at least for me.

/ zero turn mower #7  
We have a very active Kubota dealership here in tractors and excavators. Do not see many Kubota mowers on trailers with hundred of landscaping businesses. Might be due to their price tag. Would suggest you look at the brands you see the pros using at least to compare to. Are you new to ZTR mower? If so they are different, any brand, and not for all lawns (on wet slopes they can be helpless). Not pro lawn care people we just do family property and we do run two in different brands and both have been great in their class. One a Bush Hog and one a Ferris. Tire size is important for ride.

/ zero turn mower #9  
I agree with kthompson that you should look around at what the lawn care companies are using in your area. Not all decks cut all grasses in all areas of the country equally well. Some seem to handle northern grasses better, while others seem to handle southern grasses better. Some handle wet conditions fine, while others seem to clog up and/or blow clumps when it's wet.

And noticing what brands the lawn companies are using may tell you which brand they find more reliable, or at least which dealer has the best service. Those guys can't afford to be down for repairs.

In my area, I see Scags by far the most often. Then it's probably Grasshopper and John Deere, followed by Toro, Gravely and a few Exmarks.

/ zero turn mower #10  
One more thing. The new Kubota zero turn mowers released this year have a different deck on them. I'd sure want to see how those decks handle various conditions before I plopped down the big bucks for one of them.

They are also using low profile tires on big rims and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Seems like it would make the mower ride even rougher, and mowers don't ride very good even with regular profile tires on them. The low profile tires seems like form over function to me.