Zero Turn traction issues

/ Zero Turn traction issues #81  
Got a new Grasshopper last winter. Got 728 T6, which is FrontMount with 28 HP Kubota Gas. Local dealer sells a boat load of these partly because they're made up the road a ways. He promoted the gas engines partly because of the vibration of the diesel engine. When it cuts as nice and fast with easy cleaning and sharpening with the hyd. lift on the deck and Grammer seat, I don't care too much about fuel cost.

/ Zero Turn traction issues #82  
lYou don't need a diesel. I have 3 BS and one Honda, all V twins and all of them are meisers with fuel. The 26 BS Vanguard is on a 61" Ferris and it can mow so fast that even with that large of an engine it's economical.

I don't keep track of it mainly because every time I mow something, something is different so there is no set routine. I just know that I am not constantly thinking about fuel. If they were hard on it I'd know it.

I probably don’t need a diesel but for what I paid for this one it’s a no brainer. It’s probably not a winning proposition considering the upfront cost but a diesel definitively burns less fuel. Another advantage is my diesel mowers runs all day on a tank. My gas mower ran short and I had to carry fuel. I’d rather use my diesel mower over my air cooled gas any day.

/ Zero Turn traction issues #83  
I run 2 diesel ztrs, and prefer them for fuel handling ease and longevity. The 31hp mower uses 0.41 gallons per acre, or about 0.75 gallons per hour.

/ Zero Turn traction issues #84  
Not a zero turn but I'm running an old Toro Groundsmaster with a 25HP diesel and 72" front deck. It's not as fast as a zero turn but with my hilly ground the difference is not that great. The diesel burns around 3/4 gallon per hour. That is pretty darn miserly. I have no idea how many hours were on the machine. The hour meter had been replaced and was showing 124 hours. It had been replaced and was stuck at 124. It uses no oil and runs fine. The golf course my son works at has 2 of those units with over 6k hours on both units. They are still running but regulated to backup status now.

/ Zero Turn traction issues #85  
My zero turn with 72" deck and gas 35 HP Kawasaki is a mowing machine.
But miserly on fuel it isn't. ( around 2 gal per hour)

There was a Kawasaki V twin on a Ferris sitting next to the one I bought. I never had K but had lots of BS and knew the effort they put into the Vanguard. From what you said I guess I did the right thing.

/ Zero Turn traction issues #86  
Not a zero turn but I'm running an old Toro Groundsmaster with a 25HP diesel and 72" front deck. It's not as fast as a zero turn but with my hilly ground the difference is not that great. The diesel burns around 3/4 gallon per hour. That is pretty darn miserly. I have no idea how many hours were on the machine. The hour meter had been replaced and was showing 124 hours. It had been replaced and was stuck at 124. It uses no oil and runs fine. The golf course my son works at has 2 of those units with over 6k hours on both units. They are still running but regulated to backup status now.

If you are interested in keeping track of the hours without spending a lot repairing the meter, a motorcycle shop can provide a meter that needs no wiring and will automatically track the time the motor is running. Don't remember the cost, but reasonable.

/ Zero Turn traction issues #87  
There was a Kawasaki V twin on a Ferris sitting next to the one I bought. I never had K but had lots of BS and knew the effort they put into the Vanguard. From what you said I guess I did the right thing.
What GPH does a 35 HP Vanguard use compared to a 35 HP Kawasaki with a 72" deck. Yours is 26 HP 61" according to post #79.
My previous zero turn with 21 HP Kawasaki 54" deck was easy on fuel.

Last edited: