Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #1  

tmajor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2010 MF 1529, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower sickle bar circa 1963
About 3 years ago, I got a Woods ZTR (MZ1952), which is one of their commercial models, with a Michigan Suspension Seat with high back and arm rests. I was totally happy with the ZTR concept and speed, even though my yard is a "little rugged". I have inclines, pine tree roots running on top of the ground, due to the ledges ... all in all "not a golf course"! The mower is even sporting ag tires to help keep me out of trouble.

This season has had rain about 2-3 times a week, which means "a good growing season" and lots of mowing. My neck started giving me problems, which I realized, after a while, was due to mowing. The ZTR was like riding a Buckboard or Mechanical Bull

I checked the tire pressure, which was too high, even though the manual says 14 pounds all around. So, I got a pair of inner tubes for the front and dropped the pressure to 8 pounds. This helped, but didn't cure my aliments.

Next, I evaluated the arm rests. With my elbows planted on the arm rests, my upper body was pretty rigid from my shoulders down to my waist. So I flipped the arm rests up and lowered the steering handles. That helped some, as now I could flex at the waist, which helped me "roll with the punches".

Still, when the front wheels dropped off of a tree root or rock, the seat-back would throw my body forward and leave my neck to take it's punishment.

So, I set out to see, if there was a way to make the backrest a bit flexible to prevent some of the whip-lash to my neck.

The seat-back, in addition to the mounting bolts, had a single bolt through one side mount, which was for "adjustment". I removed this adjustment bolt, which allowed the seat to pivot on the mounting posts. I opened the adjustment slot a little and installed a cap screw, to act as a "seat stop".

seat1.jpg

Now that the seat back was free to pivot .. fore and aft, I had to come up with a means to stabilize it. I used 2 coil springs, which have a means to adjust the tension for comfort and ride. The top of the back-rest will move about 4 inches from normal position to the stop.

seat3.jpg

seat6.jpg

I mowed some of the lawn and bounced over the roots and rocks .. it seems better to me. :)

While most of you probably don't have such issues, others might. ??

There are more images in the album, .. but they show that I got the top bracket off center. ?? :mad:
ZTR Mower pictures by cat-tek - Photobucket
Tom

Last edited:
   / Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #2  
I'm betting this will inspire others as I think this is a common problem on ZTRs due to their speed. Hustler actually makes a seat that does exactly what yours does called the Flex Seat. Nice mod!

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #3  
I have a similar problem with my Country Clipper ZTR.
The seat bottom pivots at the front and is supported on a couple of springs at the back. The OEM springs are not strong enough to support my weight so they bottom out. I know I need to lose weight but in the interim, I need stronger springs.

Where did you get your springs?

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications
I got the springs at my local "Do It Best" hardware store.

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #5  
That is a great idea thanks for sharing. I have Kubota ZD 326 and have played with the tire pressure to smooth out the ride. The trick on the tire pressure is to lower it just enough to prevent scalping the grass.

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #6  
That looks like a good plan. Probably cheeper than the one I got. I bought an adjustable spring suspension kit off ebay that installed between the seat and seat mount that is spring adjustable. It works well because I weigh about 240 and my wife a little over 115. My setting won't work for her. It raised the seat about 2" but sure made the ride a lot better. Used on a JD 757.

Seat Suspension John Deere Z Trak 737 757 777 797 997 | eBay

My Michigan Suspension Seat, which is what most OEMs use, has the springs and shock built into the seat, which only helps with "up and down" motion.

Part of the problem is the "high back". The mid mount ZTRs have a ton of weight in the front, so when the front wheel drops, it's "hard and quick"! With the high back, it throws your shoulders forward, just as hard and quick.

While the arm rests are nice (in theory), I believe they add to the problem, by bracing the upper body into a rigid position.

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #8  
tmajor, excellent job! I have a Kubota ZD21 which gives the feeling of riding on a rock.....know what I mean? My lawn is like yours.....previously known as pasture. Nice work, thanks for sharing. smoker

I mowed the rest of my lawn today. The new seat mod. worked great! I was able to get off the ZTR when I was done, and still walk and move my neck, without pain. Plus, I mowed most of it at a faster pace than normal! :thumbsup:

Smooth. ... "smoother"!

Smoothterrain1.jpg

An then, the rough sections!

Roughterrain3.jpg

Roughterrain1.jpg

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #10  
I won't mention the prominent name brand ZTR I recently bought, but it has a cheap seat on it--arm rests were an extra cost option, and the thing just doesn't sit right on the mower in relation to anything. It's too tilted forward and the relation of leg height to sitting position is not right, either, with no way to adjust it.

Point is that this is a great post to study to start thinking about what can be done to improve some of these seats. :thumbsup: