Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications
The spring would have to be between the forks and the spindle housing, which would elevate the front of the mower. If the spring was on top, it wouldn't help.

One of the ZTRs uses a kind of "pillow block" to hold the axle, with springs between it and the forks, but I'm not sure that would help that much.

If you've ever ridden on an old farm tractor, you can hang on all day long, with just an old metal shell seat and the curved "spring steel" mount .... wood chuck holes, rocks, stumps and fallen trees. .. oh! and no shock absorbers! :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #22  
Maybe a set of mountain bike forks?
Used set for less than $20
Be great if the top tube were the proper diameter.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
The temps here in NE PA are currently 94* - going for 100*. I wanted to mow the lawn, so figured this morning was the best bet. Plus, I wanted to get more "seat time" to evaluate my seat modification.

Actually, the seat mod. was probably the best modification, which I have made to the ZTR. I was able to cruise at full speed (10.3 mph ??) on the "smoother" part of the lawn. At that speed, there was a nice breeze. My neck didn't seem to suffer, even though, there was plenty of bouncing .... no whip-lash, though.

The other mod.s included replacing the heavy steel foot plate with aluminum diamond plate and adding 30 pounds of steel on the back, both to decrease the front weight and improve traction. Plus the addition of ag chevron tires to increase the traction. I've tried the tires both mounted correctly and reversed. Don't know which way works the best. I think, mounted backwards, but I turned one to the correct direction, so it would better track the fronts. Maybe, someday I'll remount it on the rim, so the pattern on both, is going the same direction. :confused2:

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #24  
They probably use Michigan Seat because they are cheap. Michigan Seat in Jackson turns out seats by the truckload.

I'm a Grammar guy myself.

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #25  
I have a replacement Michigan seat on a Cub Cadet 1250 that's better than the seat on the new name brand ZTR I bought. It's been a few years since I bought the seat for the Cub, and maybe things aren't like they used to be, or maybe the ZTR mfg spec'd an especially cheap seat. They didn't even put grease fittings on the front wheels that pivot, either.

I have an older Dixon ZTR that has a much more cushioned seat with armrests compared to the new ZTR from another mfg with the cheap seat and no armrests.

I'd post pictures, but you could instantly tell from the colors which mfg I'm talking about.

Maybe, the Michigan seats are "less expensive", but I thought my Michigan suspension seat was built pretty well. It weighs a ton .. I'll bet the arm rests alone, weigh 5# each. The foam is molded right to the fabric. :confused3:

/ Zero turn (ZTR) Mower Seat Modifications #27  
I'm glad they are heavy steel because it's our company's steel they use.:D