ZTR purchase/second thoughts

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #21  
My biggest complaints have to do with the steering method. It is sometimes annoying to have to use both hands all the time. It makes it difficult to scratch an itch, take a drink, remove the june bug that landed on my forehead, or anything else without stopping.

Rob,

I have the ZD321. The left steering arm is stiff enough that I can do a quick scratch without stopping :laughing: I need to grease the linkage, I guess.

I've also found that I can straddle both controls with one hand for a quick itch.

Ken

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #22  
I used a rider for a while, then got a Ransoms BobCat commercial ZTR. That thing mows in a hurry. I mow around 10 acres, mostly flat and the only thing that will out do it is my LandPride AFM 4211 behind my L4350 gives a much nicer cut and obviously cuts faster since it's twice the width. If you factor in all the time required to grease the AFM, it's almost a wash. Biggest difference is the ride quality. The ZTR will beat you to death in some places, where the tractor is smooth sailing.

If you have hills, it's a completely different story. It's not as safe on a ZTR.

Still, I would not trade the ZTR on anything but a full suspension Ferris ZTR. I would probably sell the AFM first.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #23  
If you have hills, it's a completely different story. It's not as safe on a ZTR.

Is that accurate? Most ZTs are low center of gravity and wide vs. a compact tractor. Yes, a ZT has trouble with control on a hillside, but they seem safer to me than a tractor.

Now if I was mowing a hillside at the top of a cliff.....:confused2:

Ken

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #24  
A ZTR has only 2 wheels that run it in the back and front are just casters. On a hill, if the front casters catch a downhill path then it's story over. It will slide all the way to the bottom or just flip.

Some ZTRs are wide and very low to help with slopes and hills but they are still to be used carefully on such areas and slowly.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #25  
On a ZTR if going up a hill, it's possible to pull the front wheels off the ground and possibly flip over backward. I never had mine go over, but did scare the heck out of myself once when the wheels came up about a foot. I stopped, shut the deck off and reversed down the hill. I stay on level ground now with it.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #26  
If you want to move on past a ZTR for ride, cut and one handed comfort then get a Kubota F. It comes in 2WD and 4WD. Not as cheap as a ZTR but worth the difference, to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    575.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    740.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    754 KB · Views: 103
   / ZTR purchase/second thoughts #27  
I've got a 72" Exmark ZTR for mowing about 10 of my 15 acre property which is a combination of steep hills, flat prairie, and heavy trees in areas. I can't imagine anything mowing faster than a powerful commercial 72" ZTR in these diverse conditions. I carefully attack the steep hills at diagonals. The wide deck greatly reduces flip risk. Quality of cut is dependent on using he right blades and deck settings. These machines are built like tanks and deal with dead wood and rock very well. I probably shave several hours from my grass cutting time than a MMM which leaves me that much more time on my Kubota. Good used commercial trade in ZTR's are often available for 1/3 original cost.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #28  
On a ZTR if going up a hill, it's possible to pull the front wheels off the ground and possibly flip over backward. I never had mine go over, but did scare the heck out of myself once when the wheels came up about a foot. I stopped, shut the deck off and reversed down the hill. I stay on level ground now with it.

Sounds like bad design. With proper design, it should lose traction before it goes up something too steep, just like it should lose traction sideways before rolling over. What brand was this?

Ken

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #29  
If you want to move on past a ZTR for ride, cut and one handed comfort then get a Kubota F. It comes in 2WD and 4WD. Not as cheap as a ZTR but worth the difference, to me.

How do those compare for turning radius to a ZTR?

Ken

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #30  
How do those compare for turning radius to a ZTR?

Ken
I can't speak for the ZTR, never had one but the F will turn around its self in a circle but the rear is sticking out and you have to be aware of where it is. The 6' deck is out front to mow ahead of you and not under you for what that's worth. For me perfect visability and cutting on both sides with rear discharge. One hand and a foot does it all. It can also accept other implements on the front instead of just the mowing deck. Again, it's not as cheap as a ZTR but it's also not just a mower, just the best mower that also can do other jobs for a bit more money. $13000 if that's your next question for the 2wd. Yes, some ads indicate ZTR will do like 50MPH and the F will only do like 48MPH but I've never been able to hold on to it in the fastest of the Rabbit/slowest speed. I think it will probably do wheelies in high which I've never tried. Maybe if I was mowing a drag strip I'd use the faster speed and floor it but not on my yard that's not perfectly smooth. Maintenance:):):) just look at it. Stand the mowing deck up and sharpen the blades. I smile when I use it and I don't really care for mowing and I'm always getting people offering to help me mow since I have it.:)