Tire Chains on industrial tires?

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #11  
People do express concern about stress on front driveline with front chains, I think overblown as my snow traction is still less than my dry gravel road traction. I would maybe share that concern though with ONLY front chains.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #13  
Thanks. I'll check for level but it is uneven there. I was aware of the float, can't remember if set that way as dealer put it on when I wasn't there. Probably best to have in float.

Took a couple of pics for the visual, never hear any discussions on this small feature, I only learned about it in the manual.
Basically those little thingamajigs just fill in the slot preventing any movement up and down, when you reverse them it floats.

Attachments

• DSCN6693.JPG
    DSCN6693.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 437
  • DSCN6692.JPG
    DSCN6692.JPG
    983 KB · Views: 372
   / Tire Chains on industrial tires? #14  
It's kinda funky but it does work, I've since made it front mountable also.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/130815-another-truck-plow-tractor.html?

Thanks JB
Elegantly simple solution for hook up. Mine would have been even simpler but not anywhere near as nice as my Neanderthal brain wouldn't allowed to move to the next step of hydraulics. This piece does seem to mitigate the aspect of tumbling snow over the back blade that I experience with more than 8" of snow. (14" moldboard height on blade). I know our area didn't get that much snow last year but how'd it work for you? I remember wanting the JD 45 blade back in the mid to late 80's as it was taller. The dealer wanted over $400 for it so I bought the Woods blade for $250. Just another one of my dumb @$$ money saving schemes I always lived to regret. I wouldn't be surprised if the JD blade is now approaching double what it used to be.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #15  
There are a number of threads on TBN about chains. Some owners say they don't need chains with turf tires. I have found chains indispensable. My last tractor had Ag tires and still needed chains when plowing, 'cause the snow would get packed so it was slick. For a while I only had front chains on it, which helped but the back would still slip. Current tractor has Industrial tires and I have chains for front and rear. I made them - for the front from some car/truck chains I had lying around, for the rear from an old set of truck dualies. Just took a little link cutting/welding to customize for the tractor. I'll try to get some pic's to post.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires?
Well, I ordered a set of chains for the front tires from tirechains.com. Now it will be interesting to see if UPS can get here. If I'm lucky, they will hand off to the Post Office and I'll be able to pick it up at the P.O. If not, I'll have to hook up with the UPS driver when he's on the main road some time.

On my NH TC26 DA, it looks like there is a lot more clearance on the front tires for the chains. The rear tires look a bit iffy, expecially in the rear. If the front chains fit, I'm sure they'll be enough to get me through what I need. Under most conditions, the industrial tires are good enough, but this year, we had a fairly light snow storm melt and refreeze early and there is a lot of ice. Did a little plowing of some light snow we had last night today, and there were a couple places where it took a few trys to get up hills because of the ice under the light snow. Hopefully with a set of chains on the front tires, that won''t be a problem any more.

Hope we get a January thaw, because going to the gas station to buy kerosene is not my idea of fun. I'm hoping to get a fuel truck up here in the not too far distant future. Never really thought about it, but when they came up in November, they didn't have enough to fill the tank, and that has turned into a bit of a nuisance.

Thanks for the suggestions!

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #17  
Well I just did the same MOF. I ordered a set of 2 link v-bar chains for the front tires on my JD 790. I'll try those first and then get the back tires next.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #18  
When I got my bota, they thew in a set of chains that the previous own had only used 1 or 2 x.:D I have R4s so they said I'd need them in the woods or on ice. I've not put them on yet , let alone taking them out of the box. I've been playing pushing up snow into one big pile for the kid to play on when he gets back from Mass. I can see that I could do alot more pushing if I had the chains on, been spining some , but not to bad.
After looking at some of my "Landscaping" From the first time I pushed snow :eek:, I can't imagine what kinda damage I'd done if the wheels didn't break traction:eek::eek:
Well Breaks over, time to go back and play:D I just need to find out how to remove snow "with my tractor" from my 17x30 glass greenhouse roof ,without breaking anything :D
Fat chance of that:rolleyes:

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #19  
I needed a bit more traction for snow work on paved inclined areas, so put a set on just the fronts, made all the difference. I've got a set for the rears but so far have not needed them.

If you just need a little more traction you may consider going with just fronts, they of course are less expensive and are easier to install, especially with a loader to lift front end.

I would not use front chains with out rear chains.
You run the risk of having the front tires doing most of the work. This is seem on used tractors that don't use rear ballast. Loader full and no weight out back. Front wheels can't slip at the ground and the back are almost in the air. The front axles get tore up at the wheels. If you look at a tractor can you tell which wheels should do the work? Back or front? The heavier rear axles with nonturning wheels should be working and front should slip, not front pulling and back slipping.
Just think of always making your rear wheels the work horse and you'll save your front axles.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #20  
Well so far I'm impressed. I ordered my chains from tirechains.com on Sunday, (they process on Monday) and i just received them today (Wednesday). I likey!