Tire Selection F150 4x4 tire question

/ F150 4x4 tire question #1  

John Fitzgerald

Gold Member
Tractor
XJ2025H same as NH Boomer 24
I have a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4. It still has the original tires, P235/75R17, plus a full sized spare of the exact same type and size. A couple of weeks ago I had a flat (rock cut), and had the tire repaired. I would rather not take long highway drives on that tire any more, but rather use it as the spare. The tires that have been on the road still have 3/16" tread, but the only once used spare has 3/8" of tread. Would it hurt my truck if I swapped the nearly unused spare to one of the aluminum rims and used the repaired tire as the spare? Would the tire with 3/16 more tread make enough difference to damage the drive train?

I get ambiguous "it depends" answers from tire dealers and our dealership.

Last edited:
   / F150 4x4 tire question #2  
I wouldn't think it would make that much difference as the differential would just think it's in a constant gradual turn. Probably want to run it on the back so it won't affect steering, and on the heaviest side, if there is one.
Tire dealers will insist that they all need to be the same, and it just happens that we have a set...

/ F150 4x4 tire question #3  
Run it on the front. If the rolling radius is different, the dif will keep grinding away to even out the revs. Was not designed or intended to run full time. Adjust the pressure to even out the lead or pull. Fronts usually wear faster than rears, so that will get the most mileage out of a single new tire.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #4  
I really don't believe you could tell at all and I don't think it would have any ill effects. People drive trucks all the time with a tire that is more worn than all the others because of the single drive rear wheel, If it was a different size that would be a different story, I would run it on the rear if it was me.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #5  
Measuring the circumference of the spare and used tires will give you an idea of how different they actually are. I myself would buy another new one though.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #6  
I would buy another new one and place the new ones on the front for steering control.

/ F150 4x4 tire question #7  
I would buy another new one and place the new ones on the front for steering control.

I would do this also so you have a pair that matches and then when the next one goes another matched pair.

/ F150 4x4 tire question
I am wanting to wear these as far as possible, then buy five new ones size 265/70/R17 AT. Much more choices in that size. With an extra aluminum rim, I can do a regular 5 tire rotation.

/ F150 4x4 tire question
Date on them is 3510. Almost exactly seven years old. Garage kept. No dry rot.