Easy tire fill

/ Easy tire fill #21  
Syncro,

Great Pictures! Thanks for posting them.

Never one to leave well enough alone, I gotta ask. Why not just put the hose down inside the opening on the jug if you are going to use a pump anyway? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Easy tire fill
<font color="blue"> ..... Why not just put the hose down inside the opening on the jug....... </font>

<font color="black"> </font> By using a resovoir it eliminates the stop and go when changing jugs, since you can pour fluid into the can continously and faster than the pump can empty it, so its easy to stay ahead of the pump and also not loose its prime.

/ Easy tire fill #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like it would work. I wonder if it is less corrosive on your rims than Calcium? It sure seems it would be. Also 4 gallons for your weather or mine? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I know tire size is a factor also )</font>

"less corrosive" was what the dealer said - although not as heavy. But I dont know how antifreeze compares with WW.

Definitely for my weather, not yours!
Dave

/ Easy tire fill #24  
That's the first mention I have seen of ballasting the front tires. Is that common?
Dave

/ Easy tire fill #25  
I'm not sure how common it is, but my 990 has more power than traction, so I wanted as much weight as possible. Filling the tires adds no extra strain on the axle (the tire itself bears the load), but does help traction and the down force you can apply with the loader if necessary, so why not? I don't mow with my machine and I don't care about making ruts in the yard, so that isn't a problem for me - the more weight the better.

/ Easy tire fill #26  
I have a new JD4310 and am thinking about filling the tires. What happens when you get a puncture? Do you have to pump the tire out and then patch? How much trouble is it? Does filling the tires work better than weights? How about the cost difference?

/ Easy tire fill #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> How much trouble is it? </font> )</font>

It's a right royal pain. I've only ever had to do it twice on one of the farm tractors but manhandling filled rear tires was so much trouble that I never had them refilled. In our area, no one will come out to fix flats anymore, you have to get them off and bring them in to be fixed ... thank you insurance companies and lawyers.

First, you need 2 tractors because one is jacked up and useless. The second better have a FEL or it comes down to brute force to manhandle the wheel. You have to drain the tire and catch the liquid because you don't need to be spilling either CaCl2 or antifreeze on the ground. Then you have to reinflate it, if your lucky, because handling a flat rear tire is a challenge, break it off and get it on to a trailer or into a truck and off to be fixed. Reverse the procedure to get it back on. All in all, it's a lot of grunt work and one of my least favorite tractoring experiences. For me, if I desperately needed the additonal weight and traction, wheel weights would be a better alternative and I'd love to be able to afford to have them foam filled ... one can only dream.

Ofcourse, none of this applies if there is someone in your area who will fix them in situ but those guys are getting harder to find because of liability issues. I'd check around to find out before making any decision. It doesn't happen very often, twice in twenty years in my case, but that's was more than often enough.

/ Easy tire fill #28  
Hi EastTexFrank

That is what I kind of expected. I don't think anybody around here would come out and repair a tire and I don't have the means to lift etc. I think I will go the weight route and see how that works. Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Easy tire fill #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi EastTexFrank

That is what I kind of expected. I don't think anybody around here would come out and repair a tire and I don't have the means to lift etc. I think I will go the weight route and see how that works. Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Price difference, wheel weights go fo a minimum of a buck a lb. Windshield washer fluid is a buck for 8lb.

Either way, you are lifting a empty tire, you either empty it or pull the weights. Even empty you have a job on your hands. You still have to break it, pull the rubber, and load it in your truck or trailer. AG are harder than a subcompact because of the size.

I filled mine, If I lose one. I'll deal wth it

/ Easy tire fill #30  
Glad to read about your method. I'm hoping to mix up a 55 gal. drum on the 2nd floor of my barn, run a hose with a valve to the ground and let gravity work for me...for once. I've read many posts about fluids for tire ballast and have decided to go with magnesium chloride in my tubed tires. Does anyone know how much water to mix per 50# bag of magnesium chloride? Can't seem to find a formula anywhere. I'm in No. Virginia, so I don't think I need protection much lower then 0 degrees F.

Also, my 16.9X30 tires call for 73 gallons each. Once filled, what is the proper tire inflation pressure? Without fluid, it's 35psi. Same with fluid?

Thanks for all the great info in these forums.