Tractor
    Sears

Default Toolcat pre purchase mechanical issue question

I am considering purchasing a used 2012 f model 5600 with 1k hours. The machine is not local so I am currently left with only the info the seller has offered me. The machine runs and drives fine in forward but if it's cold in reverse the machine hesitates or becomes jumpy. He states that a service mechanic buddy has diagnosed the issue as a defective swash plate. And that would cost around 700. Can anyone here shine any light on the issue. I know I'm not giving you alot of info but trying to get my ducks in a row before I put down a sizable amount of cash

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: Toolcat pre purchase mechanical issue question

If it was the swashplate itself problem would be exist if both forward and reverse. More likely it is in the swashplate control on one of the pumps (one pump each for front & rear axle motor). If it drives fine with warm oil acts up only with cold then look for either some obstruction in the charge/pilot pressure circuit for the problem pump or sticking solenoid.
    There are 2 electric solenoids on each pump, 1 for forward other for reverse. When the foot pedal is depressed to move the machine the controller sends equal voltage to the solenoid on each pump. The solenoids open to allow charge/pilot oil into swashplate control piston to move, stroke the swashplate. Movement of the swashplate is monitored via a sensor in each pump so uniform flow of oil goes to each motor to keep axle speeds equal. If one swashplate doesn't move the same as the other the controller will reduce voltage on the good pump to match the slower pump while sending stronger signal to the slower pump. Once the slower pump receives sufficient oil to stroke as it should the good pump will increase pump flow to match, this is when you see the surging.
    Actual cost of repair is a crap shoot. It could be a simple as cleaning a debris screen to the solenoid(s) or as severe as replacing the pump control unit.

If you are buying as is call your closest Bobcat dealer service department and get price on replacing the pump control unit plus a couple hours diagnostic time, then use that is negotiation.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

I would try a pump calibration first.

Tractor
    Sears

I got some more info if this helps:
    I spoke with the sellers bobcat mechanic (unknown where this mechanic loyalties lie but ill assume hes being honest). He says the machine was throwing a code for Swash Plate out of position sensor. Based on the fact that his dealership has never replaced the actual part or sensor he is concluding (without seeing the machine himself) that there is likely a bad connection or wiring problem between the controler and the sensor. He states that the problem should be repairable for under $1,000.

I proposed to the seller the following deal: Deliver to your dealer, I will be responsible for costs of all repairs with dealer directly. Once repairs are complete i will drive to pickup accessories and pay seller at that time. He can then release the machine to me from the dealer. (the service manager i spoke with said this is all fine with them)

Seller says no way and that its not fair for him to leave his machine with the dealer without me paying him first. (which now gives me a bad feeling that he knows there is more wrong than he is leading on) This is all compounded by the fact that the seller is 2.5 hours from me and I dont have the time to waste on a trip if nothing comes of it.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

The seller is nervous as you suspect because the dealer is going to plug into the unit and look at ALL the warning and service codes. He dose not want anyone to know the unit has been overheated or run low on oil ,ETC.!

Tractor
    Sears

Full disclosure here the machine is being sold pretty far under value 25K for a 12 w/ 1K hours. Included is a small grapple bucket, GP bucket, Plow, forks and extra tires for $26K. Also no rot and in general the machine appears to be in good condition and not repainted. Heat AC and high flow machine.

My local dealer warned me that the deal is too good to be true and said i should proceed carefully